RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Sevla

RAID 0 and Drive Bender

jmwills

I've watched this thread for a couple of days now and using a software RAID to apply to another software product (Drive Bender) just seems like playing with fire. At least it does to me.

ikon

In this case I think we're only talking about using Drive Bender to span hardware RAID0 arrays. I'm not saying it's a great idea, only that it probably will work. As always, it comes down to the need, the tolerance for risk, and, of course, the willingness to be vigilant about good backup.

The fact that it might fail more quickly isn't necessarily a problem. It only becomes one if the data is required and there is inadequate backup.

And talk about playing with fire; this from the guy who transmitted TB of data via VPN across the Pacific! :D

jmwills

I had a plan! And there was no risk involved with my escapades. So this guys plan is to span two RAID 0's using drive bender? Where's my fire extinguisher?

ikon

So this guys plan is to span two RAID 0's using drive bender? Where's my fire extinguisher?

At least 2. There isn't much risk for him either if he's got adequate backup and/or the data isn't all that precious.

Sevla

Hello all again.

As of what i have been seeing from the latest comments on this thread i wonder if it is getting of topic?

@ jmwills

I've watched this thread for a couple of days now and using a software RAID to apply to another software product (Drive Bender)

Could i just correct you with no intent of offending you, but did you meant to say "hardware RAID" instead of software RAID on your first reply to this topic? As i do not recall at any time to state that i was trying to use a software RAID solution with Drive Bender.

just seems like playing with fire. At least it does to me.

Where's my fire extinguisher?

Once again i appreciate yours and anyones comments on this topic, but as you seem to be the only one to forseen my method of trying to improve the performance of my hardware as a disaster of unforseen consequences, that by the looks of it i will put in risk and jepourdise my family and my home, would you be kind enough to elaborate and be more specific on your comment?

As a matter of fact i do own and have next to my workbench a 2kg CO2 fire extinguisher.

Best Regards

Sevla

jmwills

It's all software RAID when you come down to it in the end. You're using two sets of calculations to form the third (spanning the two RAID 0's with Drive Bender). If you can make it work, the more power to you. It just seems risky and unconventional to use as an everyday solution.

Drive Bender and similar products only came into being after WHSv1 was replaced and with it Drive Extender. One of the products had something like a dozen updates, almost weekly which in my eyes did not lend credence to the stability of the product. These products are rarely mentioned and for certain not used in a high scalability operations.

Again, if you think you can make it work, then I'll be the first at the finish line cheering you on.

"Playing with fire" is an euphemism for a risky proposition....sort of like getting your knickers in a wad.

Joe_Miner

I had a plan! And there was no risk involved with my escapades. -snip-

You're starting to sound like a Cylon John!

Loved your show by the way -- truly enjoyed all the tech talk (I could even follow some of it :) )

pcdoc

In the end just because you can does not mean you should. putting a drive pool on top of a raid configuration just does not sound good to me. There are enough variables with either one that putting them together. I agree with JMWills, and would not recommend it either especially for the long haul. If you are willing to go through all this (for anything but testing), then why not setup a more robust raid solution.

Sevla

Hello all again.

@ jmwills

It's all software RAID when you come down to it in the end. You're using two sets of calculations to form the third (spanning the two RAID 0's with Drive Bender). If you can make it work, the more power to you. It just seems risky and unconventional to use as an everyday solution.

Drive Bender and similar products only came into being after WHSv1 was replaced and with it Drive Extender. One of the products had something like a dozen updates, almost weekly which in my eyes did not lend credence to the stability of the product. These products are rarely mentioned and for certain not used in a high scalability operations.

Again, if you think you can make it work, then I'll be the first at the finish line cheering you on.

Thank you very much for giving me a constructive comment on your views and sharing your expertise with me. Its only what im after on this forums

@ Joe_Miiner

.I will use ATTO & CDM. In your opinion should i use the windows transfers to test the network speeds or do you recommend the utility you use on your post?

@ pcdoc

In the end just because you can does not mean you should. putting a drive pool on top of a raid configuration just does not sound good to me. There are enough variables with either one that putting them together. I agree with JMWills, and would not recommend it either especially for the long haul. If you are willing to go through all this (for anything but testing), then why not setup a more robust raid solution.

Thank you for your view on this, im actually looking at RAID 5 solution for my build, all this is only for testing.

Best Regards

Sevla

jmwills

Testing is good....it tells you what will or will not work. It took me about a year to finally settle on a solution for storage. I think we all try to develop clever appraoches due to budget restraints, but in the end there is a reason some things work and others do not......

Good luck with your tests.