RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Sevla

RAID 0 and Drive Bender

Sevla

Hello all.

I would like to know if anybody as tried to create a 2x 2TB HDD's RAID 0 Array and add it to a Drive Bender Storage Pool?

I would like to try this but if anyone as tried before, if you could share you experience (cons and pros), I would be appreciated.

Im not to familiar with RAID setups, but from what i have read a RAID 0 Array will give you increased reading, writting speeds and increased storage.

Now what i would like to know is, will i benefit from those increased reading and writting speeds when the RAID 0 Array is added or used to create a Storage Pool in Drive Bender?

You may ask why i want to add the RAID 0 Array to Drive Bender. This is because personally i prefer to have a single storage point than several HDD's with different drive letters, so what im trying to achive is a Drive Bender Storage Pool based in several RAID 0 Arrays.

Is this possible?

Best Regards

Sevla

Drashna Jaelre

You also double the failure chance. If one disk dies, all disks in the Striped (RAID 0) Array go poof. Would not recommend for any data that is important in any way. :(

I'm not as familiar with Drive Bender, but couldn't you use disk management (in Admin Tools, in the Control Panel) to mount the disks to a file system path, and use them with Drive Bender that way?

pcdoc

Hello all.

I would like to know if anybody as tried to create a 2x 2TB HDD's RAID 0 Array and add it to a Drive Bender Storage Pool?

I would like to try this but if anyone as tried before, if you could share you experience (cons and pros), I would be appreciated.

Im not to familiar with RAID setups, but from what i have read a RAID 0 Array will give you increased reading, writting speeds and increased storage.

Now what i would like to know is, will i benefit from those increased reading and writting speeds when the RAID 0 Array is added or used to create a Storage Pool in Drive Bender?

You may ask why i want to add the RAID 0 Array to Drive Bender. This is because personally i prefer to have a single storage point than several HDD's with different drive letters, so what im trying to achive is a Drive Bender Storage Pool based in several RAID 0 Arrays.

Is this possible?

Best Regards

Sevla

It has been awhile since tried drivebender but I do have a couple of thoughts. First, Drive bender (and the others) I believe do not use RAID 0, they use JBOD so their is absolutely no gain in performance. There is a difference in just pooling drives together vs an actual RAID 0. Also, as Drashna already implied, neither is a great way to protect data. IF you want a real RAID 0, you will have to use your motherboard RAID or a controller.

ikon

I also have a souple thoughts:

1. I have used RAID0 in the past with great success. The caveat I always make for RAID0 is to ensure you have plenty of good backup; backup that has been tested, so you know it will restore properly;
  2. if you add several hardware RAID0 arrays to a DriveBender Pool, I suspect you will indeed get better performance. Being hardware based, each RAID0 array should appear to DrivePool as a single drive. It will add them as JBOD drives to its pool but, underneath, they will be hardware RAID0 arrays, with the speed benefits that that implies. How much better performance you will get I'm not sure. Perhaps you could test and report back to us.

Sevla

Hello again

First of all thank you for your replies.

@ Drashna and pcdoc

You also double the failure chance. If one disk dies, all disks in the Striped (RAID 0) Array go poof. Would not recommend for any data that is important in any way. :(

Also, as Drashna already implied, neither is a great way to protect data.

Im aware of the drawback of RAID 0 not providing redundancy in case of disk failure, and that any RAID solution is not meant for backup pourposes, also that Drive Bender is not a backup solution, but is able to provide redundancy by means of folder duplication (if im not mistaken).

@ pcdoc

It has been awhile since tried drivebender but I do have a couple of thoughts. First, Drive bender (and the others) I believe do not use RAID 0, they use JBOD so their is absolutely no gain in performance. There is a difference in just pooling drives together vs an actual RAID 0. (edited). IF you want a real RAID 0, you will have to use your motherboard RAID or a controller.

You might have misunderstood me. Im aware of Drive Bender just pooling single drives and increasing the size of the pool as you add drives to it, it does not create a RAID array, this is why you will be limited by the read/write speeds of any individual drive, but you get a single point of storage, this is what a RAID 0 array does but with the benefit of the increased read/write speeds. (if im not mistaken)

What i would like to try is create a hardware RAID 0 Array (either from the motherboard or from a RAID controller card) and then create a Drive Bender Storage Pool with that RAID 0 Array. I would still have the single point storage from Drive Bender with the increased read/write speeds of the RAID 0 Array.

My objective is to add the performance of a RAID 0 Array to the facility of single point storage of Drive Bender. I know this will not be the best method if you are worried with data protection or data backup, at the moment i would only like to try this method (if possible) for performance (speeding up data transfers, data streaming on my network) and possible reliabillity, if it works then of course i would have to think about data protection/backup.

@ ikon

I also have a souple thoughts:

1. I have used RAID0 in the past with great success. The caveat I always make for RAID0 is to ensure you have plenty of good backup; backup that has been tested, so you know it will restore properly;
  2. if you add several hardware RAID0 arrays to a DriveBender Pool, I suspect you will indeed get better performance. Being hardware based, each RAID0 array should appear to DrivePool as a single drive. It will add them as JBOD drives to its pool but, underneath, they will be hardware RAID0 arrays, with the speed benefits that that implies. How much better performance you will get I'm not sure. Perhaps you could test and report back to us.

As of point two of your comment this is actually what i would like to try and implement if it works.

@ Drashna , pcdoc and ikon

I still have to do more research regarding RAID 0 so i have a better understanding of it and try to work out a way to test it. I would like to know what are your thoughts on this based on your expertises, or any advice in how to test it:

1. Test read/write speed of a single drive in a Drive Bender storage pool.

2. Test read/write speed of a normal RAID 0 Array.

3. Test read/write speed of a RAID 0 Array in a Drive Bender storage pool.

4. Compare the results and if successful with better and increased read/write speeds, start testing reliabillity.

This would be my testing "roadmap", if possible could you advise me in terms of what software tools should i use (freeware if possible) for this?

What are you thoughts on this?

Best Regards

Sevla

Joe_Miner

-snip_

I still have to do more research regarding RAID 0 so i have a better understanding of it and try to work out a way to test it. I would like to know what are your thoughts on this based on your expertises, or any advice in how to test it:

1. Test read/write speed of a single drive in a Drive Bender storage pool.

2. Test read/write speed of a normal RAID 0 Array.

3. Test read/write speed of a RAID 0 Array in a Drive Bender storage pool.

4. Compare the results and if successful with better and increased read/write speeds, start testing reliabillity.

This would be my testing "roadmap", if possible could you advise me in terms of what software tools should i use (freeware if possible) for this?

What are you thoughts on this?

Best Regards

Sevla

When I tested the performance of individual drives vs Stablebit DrivePool I used ATTO and CrystalDiskMark.

clip_image0121.jpgclip_image013.jpg

clip_image0161.jpgclip_image017.jpg

Sevla

Hello Joe_Miner

When I tested the performance of individual drives vs Stablebit DrivePool I used ATTO and CrystalDiskMark.

As of your comment and screenshots, your first test was of the read/write speeds of a single drive already in the DrivePool, and a second test of the read/write speeds of the DrivePool with 3 drives (or the speed of the 3 drives in the DrivePool, i think it is the same). I beleive that DrivePool works similar to Drive Bender, you add disks to a pool and increases the storage size, creating a single storage point from a JBOD's. Is this correct?

Are your drives in a JBOD's configuration or are they in a RAID 0 Array before adding them to the pool?

What i can see as well is an increase in the read/write speeds on the second test. So even if your DrivePool is on a JBOD's configuration the read/write speeds increase as you add drives to the pool, or have i misinterpreted the results of your test?

If not do you think that if i try and use my method above would i be able to get the increased read/write speeds of the RAID 0 Array plus any little increase in read/write speeds of the drive pooling software?

Best Regards

Sevla

Joe_Miner

As of your comment and screenshots, your first test was of the read/write speeds of a single drive already in the DrivePool,

I apologize for the confusion. The first test was on Drive D: before it had been added to the DrivePool.

and a second test of the read/write speeds of the DrivePool with 3 drives (or the speed of the 3 drives in the DrivePool, i think it is the same).

Yes. The second test was within the DrivePool. I copied the ATTO executable to a folder within DrivePool (Drive J: ) and had File Duplication turned on for that Folder.

I beleive that DrivePool works similar to Drive Bender, you add disks to a pool and increases the storage size, creating a single storage point from a JBOD's. Is this correct?

I would only be guessing about DB. I did not even evaluate DB. DrivePool is very similar to Drive-Extender with a few extra’s that CoveCube did that I like.

Are your drives in a JBOD's configuration or are they in a RAID 0 Array before adding them to the pool?

Neither. My drives are in as individual drives. I can store data on to the individual drives or I can store data in the DrivePool that spans all the drives and uses that space on the drives that hasn’t been taken up by files stored directly onto the drive outside the DrivePool. In the photo of my Pool screen (back in the article) you see drives E: and G: with a lot of free space – those were my two Data drives when I was running WHS-2011 in a Hyper-V partition – when I first created DrivePool (“J:”) I did it with Drives H:, D: and F: -- then I moved my WHS-2011 Shared Folders to the DrivePool turned on folder duplication and then moved my data from E: & G: to J:. When I had moved all my data from E: & G: I added them to the DrivePool.

Technically, I could of added them to the DrivePool early on and as the data was moved off of E: & G: DrivePool would have started using that free space – but I thought things would go faster if I was only pulling data off of those two drives.

What i can see as well is an increase in the read/write speeds on the second test.

Congratulations! As far as I know you are the first to catch that! With folder duplication turned on DrivePool will read data from a folder and it’s duplicate at the same time (kind of a stripping of blocks -- it’s not Raid 0 but it’s sort of like it). It’s something CoveCube did to improve their performance – which was nice to see. That’s why, when I tested the DrivePool performance, I loaded ATTO & CDME in a folder on J: with duplication turned on. I also like it that CoveCube stores the data in NTFS format – so like DE – if my MicroServer totally crashes I can pull the individual drives out and get to my data (I’ve had to do this before in WHS-V1 DE and having that capability is a total lifesaver IMHO)

So even if your DrivePool is on a JBOD's configuration the read/write speeds increase as you add drives to the pool, or have i misinterpreted the results of your test?

Actually, I would expect performance to begin to decrease slightly as more drives are added and thus adding to overhead (slightly) of DrivePool – just a theory on my part but DrivePool’s semi-stripping is with two folders if folder duplication is turned on AND you check a box for higher performance and the two folders would only be on two drives (again, think DriveExtender). I would not load DrivePool onto a JBOD – I’m not even sure if it would be possible. DrivePool is more DriveExtender 2.0

CoveCube has a detailed technical discussion at their web site.

If not do you think that if i try and use my method above would i be able to get the increased read/write speeds of the RAID 0 Array plus any little increase in read/write speeds of the drive pooling software?

I do not know if Drive Bender handles read/writes the same way as DrivePool. What I think you’re trying to do is RAID 10 -- but with more failure points and more overhead and thus lower reliability and slower speeds. Why not just do a direct RAID 10 -- i.e. having only one vendor SW/HW package handle your RAID 10 instead of mixing SH/HW RAID 0 with another SW package laying a semi RAID 1 on top which can only hamper your potential performance and when you have problems the vendors will all point the other way? There are a number of people in the Forums who are doing RAID 10 very successfully and reliably. I’d suggest looking at Welchwerks posts in the Forums for a start.

As for actually doing DriveBender with a number of RAID 0’d drives…. I don’t see a technical reason why you couldn’t do that – you had asked about free performance test tools and ATTO & CDM are two that I use – the only way you’ll really know for sure is to give it a try. Please let us know what happens and post your test results. Good luck.

Sevla

Hello again Joe_Miner

Thank you for the very informative post about your testing and set up, althought its not the same hardware/software setup, it is kind of the same goal, but with no data protection, but never the less it gave me a better idea of what i might bump into.

Im not too worried about data protection/backup at the moment, as im only after peformance and reliability for the pourpouse of this testing, that is why i would not use any of the folder duplication features of Drive Bender, (i do not know if DB supports any feature like DrivePool does in regarding of retrieveing data from the duplicated folders so to give it better read/write speeds to the pool) as well of my understanding from what you said this is where the overhead from Drive Bender might undermine the read/write speed performance of the pool. (if im not mistaken)

Regarding reliabillity, is this only based on the MTTF of the drives, or the mixing of hardware RAID 0 with a drive extender replacement like Drive Bender will give me problems? I know that RAID 0 is the less reliable of any RAID Array setup as if one single drive fails all data is lost, but it is the best in performance and disk usage. I beleive that a reliabillity test can only be achieved with time.

Best Regards

Sevla

ikon
What I think you’re trying to do is RAID 10

Actually Joe_Miner, it's not like RAID 10 at all. RAID 10 implies stiping with mirroring. Sevia has no mirroring in his configuration at all. What he's trying to do doesn't have a RAID #. He is doing stiping to make the multiple RAID-0 arrays, but then he's basically using Drive Bender to span the RAID0 arrays into a larger logical drive.