RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheap IPS Monitor, Worth The Risk?

awraynor

I've asked myself the same question. These cheap 27" panels from Korea only have a dual-link DVI-D connector (no HDMI or even VGA) so connectivity is limited depending on your system needs.

My wife has told me we aren't going to replace my existing monitor unless it breaks....

"Kids! Want to play with daddy's hammers?" ;)

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I understand. I have a 24" ASUS monitor that I absolutely hate. The shell came lose

at the corner by the power switch one day. I almost fibbed and told her I couldnt' fix

it, which was simply prying it back out a little and snapping it back in place.

Prime case of you get what you pay for.

PC Perspective has also done a review of one of these.

http://www.pcper.com...splay-Under-350

If I was looking for a new monitor or three I'd probably go for one of these. My logic here would be that the price is of coarse right and given the amount of time these have been out that there really isn't any great outcry of these monitors failing. Yes you get a lower grade of monitor that skimps on the features but if you can live with the compromises it's definitely a sweet deal.

Thanks for the link to the PCPer story. I was looking at an iMac, but that thing is crazy expensive with no real ability to upgrade.

It would be much cheaper to build an awesome hackintosh with one of these monitors and still spend half the money.

The PC World podcast with Loyd Case was recently talking about cheap IPS monitors on Ebay. Apparently, there are some direct sellers from Korea that are selling them. Some even have pixel guarantees. The podcasters promised an article about it soon so it may be prudent to wait. Don't shoot the messenger, just repeating what I heard. Go check out their podcast.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older topic but has anyone in the forums tried the monitors that no-control mentioned on BYOB?

If I decide to make the plunge I may need to upgrade my video card too!