RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8 RTM very soon -- I think it's already in the Gate

Joe_Miner

Clearly, at least to me, Windows 8 should RTM very soon. Thinking more about my post yesterday at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4025-intel-82579v-nic-on-ga-z77x-ud5h-and-other-motherboards-with-server-oss/ that the Windows 8 Drivers (32 bit and 64 bit) are available for download at Gigabyte's page for the Z77X-UD5H -- I didn't see them till yesterday but all the files have a 7-25-2012 date on them.

Tells me it's all packaged up to go and MS is just waiting for an optimal time to announce. I'm thinking we will see this on TechNET by Aug 1st.

Not sure why I am saying this but I hope you are right. Still not a fan but I would like to use it on my laptop as it works well on a smaller display. Large or multi-display gives me a feeling that I am running an OS designed with crayons. Like taking a thumbnail and stretching it to 19x12.

I am really starting to like Win8. Much faster on my machine and thankfully don't get the "program not responding" error I received all the time on Win7.

However, the music metro app is awful. WMP can play a file perfectly, but Metro Music does nothing.

As I've said before, I think that the underlying platform of Windows 8 is solid, and with some advances over Windows 7. However, I've yet to find a Metro App that I use in preference to its Desktop ancestor. Microsoft are doing themselves no favours with these "App Previews" that are little better than bug-ridden toys.

BTW, although WMP can play files perfectly, I think that "Play to" is seriously broken in Windows 8. In that respect, Windows 8 is a step backwards from Windows 7...

I like many of the Metro Apps, USA today, etc. Reading from within it and others is very good,

like the tablet/flipboard experience it's meant to replicate. It's the MS Preview Apps that are the worst.

The flat, sparse design is a little too much in some of them such as mail and calendar.

I agree with gcoupe and not found too many apps that rival there desktop counterparts. Metro apps on a two 24 inch monitors is also at this time not a great experience. Some of the third party are definitely better than the garbage that MS included (photo, music, video, email), but they all need work. Let's hope we see some improvement on RTM day...

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 8 and Windows 8 Enterprise are on TechNET as of 12:03CDT -- Don't see Server 2012 yet.

I haven't had time to be on here much lately but it appears gcoupe is on here to take my place. Not in valuable content but in hanging out with us on a regular basis. I think you guys are better for it as he is makeing some really good comments. Keep up the good work gcoupe.