RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wireless Printer Recommendation

awraynor

I think I have heard my wife curse maybe twice. The first time when we moved to

the Upstate SC area and we decided to visit the local legendary hamburger joint.

I think she mumbled a few vulgarities referencing the cleanliness of the restaurant,

which has even been featured on the Food Network before. If the cooks have to stand

on cardboard due to the greasiness of the floor, maybe the Health Department should

come around a little more often.

The second time was tonight. We have had a terrible time with the wireless printing

on our HP All In One, J6480 to be exact. It is 5-6 years old, in need of new ink and

has a very low WAF.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an AIO with print, scan, but fax not necessary?

We don't print a lot, so a BYOB level printer isn't necessary.

I don't particularly care about brand, but AirPrint capabilities would be nice.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awraynor

• cskenney

• ikon

• timekills

Epson Workforce 840. I never before thought I'd see the day where I'd recommend an all-in-one, but this printer (along with the scanning capabilities) have not only worked flawlessly as a completely wireless printer, but it was easy to set up and as the "SOHO" level printer the ink is reasonable.

I got it's smaller sibling initially because it was a refurb deal, and it also worked extremely well regarding wireless connectivity, but we used some cheapo replacement inks in it and eventually it started streaking on prints. Not sure if it was the ink, or the heads, or why it was initially a refurb anyway. But we decided to step up to the 840 and love it.

Even the setup is easy, both the initial connection for the printer, and connecting computers to it.

The cheapest I saw it is here: http://www.bestlinkelectronics.com/new-epson-workforce-840-all-in-one-printer-fax-scan-copy-print ($179) but it is usually around $240. It is worth paying a bit more for the great quality scans and prints, (relatively) affordable replacement ink, and it just always works.

I was looking at the Epson 645 or 845. My wife wonders about the iPad printing app, not that she ever uses the iPad

to print. She just doesn't want the Air Print capability to be too convoluted. Have you used the AirPrint function?

If there is the one point that Epson probably loses at compared to HP it is iOS compatibility. If memory serves, there were a couple apps that allowed for relatively painless printing to the Epson from my iPad, but I never do it so not much help there.

I just set up an HP MG5320 AIO in our house. It has Airprint but since we're not an Apple family we don't use that function.

This has high WAF since my wife can print directly from her notebook. The scan function will "push" to the PC also, very handy.

It has two black ink reservoirs; one big, one normal. This is in addition to the 3 CYM color tanks. I found cheap ink for this printer at monoprice.com.

The main reason I went for this model is to print directly to CD/DVD. My kids are hard on the movie discs and I can't get my "home accountant" to agree to purchase tablets...yet.

I bought the printer from B&H Photo for $99.

http://www.bhphotovi...arch=yes&sts=ta

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I think I will try this one. She wants an easy AirPrint option, although I doubt she will use it much, but

the WAF is high here. I personally rarely print, but I do scan like crazy, thankfully I have a document

scanner for that and an Epson Perfection scanner for photos.

The printer is on a shelf in a first floor coat closet, which rules out the Canon models, they are huge.

The Epson has a slightly janky airprint option, so those are my second choice.

This HP model is the same price at BestBuy as it is online. If it doesn't work, right back to the store it goes.

It surely appears HP is in ready to bring out some new models, but I don't care about having the latest

and greatest printer. I was personally using an HP model from 2002 until recently. We are replacing a

J6480 circa 2008 which still printed fine, but it kept dropping from the network and required a restart everytime

to print. Given the new ink it needs is half the price of a new printer, it was time to upgrade.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Photosmart+7510+Wireless+All-In-One+Printer+-+Black/3071199.p?skuId=3071199&id=1218376383102

• 2 weeks later...

OK, for you guys that have these multifunction machines, are you using them to scan and /or fax? I want an All in One (multifunction) that I can put downstairs in my basement and everyone has access to it on the network (easy part). I want to be able to scan (to a PDF is fine) and store the result directly on my WHS over the network. Any of you doing this?

BTW - seriously looking at the Epson 845. It's on sale at the local Staples store for $139.99 and it looks like it should do everything I want. However I have seen in a review that you have to have it connected via USB to scan which would mean it won't work for me.

OK, for you guys that have these multifunction machines, are you using them to scan and /or fax? I want an All in One (multifunction) that I can put downstairs in my basement and everyone has access to it on the network (easy part). I want to be able to scan (to a PDF is fine) and store the result directly on my WHS over the network. Any of you doing this?

BTW - seriously looking at the Epson 845. It's on sale at the local Staples store for $139.99 and it looks like it should do everything I want. However I have seen in a review that you have to have it connected via USB to scan which would mean it won't work for me.

I scan to PDF all the time from my Canon. You can scan from any of the clients (except that you have to walk to the scanner). The one comparison I would make on any printer is the longevity and cost of the ink. One main reason my last three printers have been Canons is because of the life of the cartridges/life (cost of ownership). Make sure you compare the expected pages per refill before you make your final decision. One last point, some printers allow you to use generic ink and other do not. Look into what is available for models you select. Just my two cents.