RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Back up fails due to system restart

mailman1988

I have an old xp box that has been performing backups for years.

A few months ago, it stopped.

The error message I get is "Backup failed due to system restarted during backup"

Of course I never restarted any of the systems.

I tried un-installing & re-installing the Connect software several times. This did not fix the problem.

Sugestions?

I have no issues with any other clients (but I only have 1 XP box).

Thanks

have you looked thru the Event Logs during this time period to see what was happening? Sounds like on the surface that you have some corrupt data or folders that are trashing the backup.

I have not reviewed the event logs. But I did do several HD scan's, I tried Windows repair & chkdsk /f. Scanned all drives. Still nothing. Should I look at the event log on the Server or Client?

Have you tried doing a backup repair? If that does not work, as a last ditch effort (with proceed with caution caveat as you will lose you backup and data), you can delete that client, remove the connector, and recreate the client then rerun the backup. Try the first option and see if that works.

Try what pcdoc suggests, but you could have a more underlying HDD issue. It could be that the backup cannot read some part of the disk and is failing, causing a reboot. This could still be the case even after running CHKDSK and SCANDISK. i will leave it to Joe_Miner and jmwills to recommend how you might deal with that :D