RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HighPoint RocketRAID 2680 SGL Questions

jmhenry5150

Yep - using on-board video...no need for high power there since this guy will just sit in the corner and do my bidding...

Ok cool - *whew* I thought I was screwed on using this card...

Thanks for the quick reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CablDeViL

• jmwills

• ikon

• jmhenry5150

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really wish there was a simple way to incorporate new drivers into a Windows install ISO. There is a way to do it, but it sure as hell ain't simple.

For XP/2003 it's tricky, that's why we created DriverPacks. But for Win7 and up it's dead simple. Just create a folder at the root of your boot .iso named "$WinPEDriver$" (no quotes) and throw all your uncompressed mass storage/RAID drivers in there. The PE setup sorts it all out prior to showing you the list of available drives/volumes to install to. You could also load the drivers to a USB stick and have it plugged in during OS load. Post-install you can use a utility like my SAD2 script to update all the drivers for the OS in one shot.

After looking at the mobo and the card - it seems there is no "perfect" PCI-E slot to put this in.

The only spot it will fit in is the video card slot - is this ok?

The mobo has:

• PCI Express 2.0 x16 (1)
  • PCI Express x1 (3)

And this card is a PCI-Express x4

Attached is a quick pic of the expansion slots on the mobo:

Ikon is absolutely correct. Use the x16 should not be an issue. That is the one that works best for me. I have had trouble with other slots on some systems but never that top slot.

For XP/2003 it's tricky, that's why we created DriverPacks. But for Win7 and up it's dead simple. Just create a folder at the root of your boot .iso named "$WinPEDriver$" (no quotes) and throw all your uncompressed mass storage/RAID drivers in there. The PE setup sorts it all out prior to showing you the list of available drives/volumes to install to. You could also load the drivers to a USB stick and have it plugged in during OS load. Post-install you can use a utility like my SAD2 script to update all the drivers for the OS in one shot.

Thanks very much for the $WinPEDriver$ info.. First time I've ever heard it. So all I will need is an ISO editor. As far as using a USB stick is concerned, that's what I do now, but it's a PITA - you always have to have that USB stick around, which is just plain annoying.

• 3 years later...

Well I believe my card has gone bad (HighPoint RocketRAID 2680)...

Tons of these errors in the Server 2012 event log:

Event ID 9 - The device, \Device\Scsi\rr26801, did not respond within the timeout period.

Once these start showing up I can't access the RAID drive in any way and I have to restart the server to get it back up...

I have ordered a new card (exact model) just in case and I was wondering how to replace the card without losing my data...

I know you can recover the RAID from a configuration file - but does anyone have any first hand knowledge of how to do this?

Step by step instructions would be great as I am fearful of losing everything  :mellow:

Thanks in advance!

-Mike