RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HighPoint RocketRAID 2680 SGL Questions

jmhenry5150

Excellent info guys - much appreciated.

I have built PC's in the past (albeit 10 years ago) - so getting back into the fold with newer technology has been a bit daunting...

All of the parts have either arrived or will be here by next week and I will report back in my build thread on the progress and I'm sure with questions...although I will keep my RAID questions / issues in this thread...

Thanks again!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CablDeViL

• jmwills

• ikon

• jmhenry5150

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One simple question that I have...

The board has 4 SATA ports - to get started should I connect my OS drive to one of these ports or go ahead and install the RAID card and connect that way?

Remember that I want to use the RAID card to have 2 arrays (1 for the OS mirror - 2 drives and 1 for the data which will have 6 drives)...

Good question. I'm inclined to say no because the building of the mirror would format that drive.

I read the question wrong, if you have the RAID card, connect the two OS drives and configure the mirror in the BIOS. The startup process will see the card and allow configuration that way.

Ok i thought I would do this:

1. Connect 1 OS drive to the RAID card
  2. Install the OS and updates
  3. Add the OS mirror drive to the RAID card
  4. Build the mirror

I guess this is wrong?

heh, am I beating you to death on this? :unsure:

I would not attache the OS drive to the RAID. You do not need the Highpoint to create a mirror with the OS. You can easily do that from your motherboard sata connectors. Using the motherboard instead of the Highpoint saves you from having to load drivers during an install or recovery. Keep it simple. MB for OS, Highpoint for DATA or large volume.

I'm with pcdoc re: the driver loading requirement. It's a real PITA. I really wish there was a simple way to incorporate new drivers into a Windows install ISO. There is a way to do it, but it sure as hell ain't simple.