RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HighPoint RocketRAID 2680 SGL Questions

jmhenry5150

Hey guys!

I'm so glad I found this site...others out there don't seem to be as "in depth" as this one...

I am building a WHS 2011 box and I want to use this card...and I know it will handle 8 total drives...so here are my questions:

I want to have 2 x 250 GB (2.5" drives) as my OS array and I want to have a total of 6 x 3 TB drives in my data array ...the feeling is I want to be able to replace a drive if one fails from either array. Will this card support 2 RAID arrays (1 for the OS and 1 for the data)? Or will I need to have a separate cards?

If I can have multiple arrays, how do I go about setting up the OS RAID? I'm talking about initial install of the card and installing the OS...I have seen the videos posted here about creating arrays through the windows software but I am fuzzy about starting from scratch and getting the OS installed...how difficult is this?

In my data array, how much will my total capacity be if I have 6 x 3 TB drives in a RAID 5? I know there will be some space left over for redundancy so I won't get the total 18 TB.

Is it easy to REMOVE a drive if something goes wrong?

I know I will have more questions, so bear with me - "Hey, I'm learnin' here!!!"

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

• jmhenry5150

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome....I have the 2720 card and have not even thought about creating two different arrays, okay 1 array and 1 mirror, using the same card. You have two breakout cables, each with four connectors and I am not sure if you can dedicate two to the mirror and two to the array along with the other four. I am about 90% sure you can do this with the HighPoint software.

Your RAID 5 array should be approximately 15.36 TB. The rule of thumb is to subtract one drive so for estimates the 15TB is a good number.

Mine runs 2 Raid 5 Arrays without an issue. But the main problem is setting up the raid from the cards bios before installing the OS with the slipstream HP drivers. That I am not sure?.

I don't see why couldn't install the OS on a single drive, install the HighPoint software to then add the 2nd drive for the OS mirror.

I don't see why couldn't install the OS on a single drive, install the HighPoint software to then add the 2nd drive for the OS mirror.

That's an idea.....I didn't even think about that :unsure:

To me, that seems like the path of least resistance. Get it stabilized and then add the array. I would guess it could take about 4-5 days to build it and make sure the initialization is done in the foreground.

Here is my execution path...let me know if you think something is not right...I'm gathering parts (I almost have everything) except for the big 3 TB drives...

1. Build the machine out (all hardware in except the large data drives)
  2. Get the OS installed
  3. Setup the RAID for the OS and get this all stable (is there a way to test this?)
  4. Add 3 x 3 TB to build the RAID 5 for the data array
  5. This is where I get a little fuzzy (add new 3 TB drives as I need) to the large data array - keeping 1 big array of data.

• Why not just add all the data drives at once?
  • What do you have allocated for the server backup? The server backup will demand a dedicated drive.

The HighPoint software will tell you the status of the array and mirror. However, I would not start building the array until the OS is installed and fully patched. Do not activate it up front, you have a 30 day grace period.

I just went the Icydock route for the OS. I am not a big Software raid guy "Unless" its just for a mirror.

This is not a software raid, well...actually ALL RAID is a software RAID, but that is another discussion. The HighPoint software for the RAID card is very intuitive and easy to use.