RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't beleive I am saying this...

timekills

I find it interesting that the Quick Sync is designed to support only h.264 and MPEG2 and there are freeware and multiple paid apps that utilize it, while you get some like Adobe and apparently Xsplit that claim "it's too hard."

If there is one area the Bulldozer excels (as has been AMD's only strength the past 12-18 months) it is multi-threaded encoding. Bang for buck, if x264 video encoding is your main objective, and including cost of motherboard and CPU, I might say the FX-8150 is worthy. It's comparable in price to the i5-2400 but gets about 25% better h.264 speeds. see: http://www.x264fhdbenchmark.republika.pl/Results.txt

These are the discussions that anandtech and Tom's are full of. My opinion - pay a bit more, get the Intel CPU with better power utilization, faster speeds, Quick Sync and better all-around software support. Even if you're talking $100 more, my time and is worth it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• pcdoc

• timekills

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stick with LGA 1155. Plus you could then use Virtue MVP to assist in video conversion using your GPU resources as well.

Have a look at this, it may help you decide

timekills

Have a look at this, it may help you decide

Except Quick Sync isn't supported in the software he uses for his real-time encoding.

geek-accountant

Sounds very interesting. At the moment, Xsplit does not support Quick Sync. They may at some point, but it could be another year, next month or never. Depending on price and performance, I wonder if a dual Xeon setup may be better. Although I need to keep the budget reasonable.

Sounds very interesting. At the moment, Xsplit does not support Quick Sync. They may at some point, but it could be another year, next month or never. Depending on price and performance, I wonder if a dual Xeon setup may be better. Although I need to keep the budget reasonable.

I have used XSplit several and if all you are doing is that I am surprised you are needing that much CPU power. I never saw my CPU go over 60% using XSplit while streaming and recording locally.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Does it support CUDA? If so, get the intel processor with an nVidia GPU. Very fast transcoding.

geek-accountant

I have used XSplit several and if all you are doing is that I am surprised you are needing that much CPU power. I never saw my CPU go over 60% using XSplit while streaming and recording locally.

Not sure how you are using Xsplit but for most of what I do, the cpu usage is in the range of 40%-60%. However, when showing a photo slide show (with a PIP style overlay of the person talking) or a video, the cpu usage can spike to 90%+. In my case, I am streaming at 1280x720 using the Default encoding preset (ie, "veryfast" setting) with a Quality of 10 and bitrate of 1500. In addition, I am running the Local Recording Channel at a Quality of 20 and the "Superfast" encoding preset to get the highest quality local recording possible.

What I want to do, is stream at the "fast" or "medium" setting so I can push a higher quality stream and still keep the bitrate low enough for DSL viewers.

BTW, had a look at the Xeon dual cpu setups and while I would love this, I think they are out of my price range for the setup I want. So back to the 3770?

geek-accountant

Does it support CUDA? If so, get the intel processor with an nVidia GPU. Very fast transcoding.

Nope, it doesn't support any GPU encoding and I think at the moment they don't have any plans to do it. Not sure if Wirecast or Vidblaster (alternatives to Xsplit) would use the GPU but they are both MUCH more expensive than Xsplit and way more complicated to use. To use them properly requires a lot more prep time for EACH show and you really need a separate person to act as the "producer" which works good in a studio setting, not so well when host are all remote.

Not sure how you are using Xsplit but for most of what I do, the cpu usage is in the range of 40%-60%. However, when showing a photo slide show (with a PIP style overlay of the person talking) or a video, the cpu usage can spike to 90%+. In my case, I am streaming at 1280x720 using the Default encoding preset (ie, "veryfast" setting) with a Quality of 10 and bitrate of 1500. In addition, I am running the Local Recording Channel at a Quality of 20 and the "Superfast" encoding preset to get the highest quality local recording possible.

What I want to do, is stream at the "fast" or "medium" setting so I can push a higher quality stream and still keep the bitrate low enough for DSL viewers.

BTW, had a look at the Xeon dual cpu setups and while I would love this, I think they are out of my price range for the setup I want. So back to the 3770?

You are running a higher quality setting on your local recording but everything else is about the same. I did end up reducing the resolution but not because of CPU but rather bandwidth to livestream.

geek-accountant

You are running a higher quality setting on your local recording but everything else is about the same. I did end up reducing the resolution but not because of CPU but rather bandwidth to livestream.

Using a slower preset helps reduce the upload bandwidth while keeping the quality high.

Using the settings I mentioned before, my cpu is running from 40%-60% when I am just showing the Google+ Hangout or a web page. It's when I go to stream a video or a photo slide show, with a PIP of the person talking that it hits 90%+. This isn't a problem for a good part of the show, but we do it every show so it is a problem in total.

At this point, I am thinking of getting the i7 3770. If it proofs to be significanty faster than my current AMD x6 setup, then I will be looking to switch my "studio" (ie, the one I use) PC to be even more powerful. Say 32GB of ram, i7 3930?