RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can't beleive I am saying this...

geek-accountant

I built my first PC back in 1989 with a Cyrix chip. Since then, I have built every computer we have ever owned (never owned a laptop, just used the one work gave me). The one thing in common with all these machines, NONE of them ever had an Intel cpu in them. Not that I hate Intel, that feeling is saved for Apple, just that when I got into computers the non-Intel chips were much cheaper and at times faster.

Jump tp today. Every machine in the house (11 of them at the moment) are running AMD chips. This gives me lots of possiblities for moving parts around as different machines are updated. Since AMD has been pretty good about making the AM3 system last a long time, this has worked pretty good for us.

Until now, I think. So, for the first time in my life, I am considering building a system with an Intel cpu. My broadcast server used to stream the jpeg2RAW Podcast was running a AMD Phenomon x4 2.7GHz cpu. This was OK at first but we quickly out grew this system. So I upgraded to a AMD x6 3.3GHz. This system worked really good, until now. Seems every show we are pushing the system, sometimes as high as 90% as I need more power.

I need more POWER! I was going to stay AMD and get the FX-8150. But now I am thinking, if I have to buy a new MB anyway, why not look at Intel? I have not kept up with them at all and there seems to be all kinds of crazy platforms LGA this LGA that, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, what the crap! Anyway, I am looking at the i7-3820 (would love the 3930 but $569 in American money are you crazy?) and just wondering will it be that much faster in real life for video encoding than the FX-8150?

I feel dirty now, need to go take a shower.

BTW, if I change my mind later is there anyway to delete this thread and act like it never happened? :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• geek-accountant

• Renny

• timekills

Top Posters In This Topic

<Admin steps in>

Thread deleted. Nobody should be able to see it anymore.

<Admin out>

Stop reading already. This is hidden. Give GA a moment to cleanse would ya?

I think I put this post in the wrong place. Rich, can you move it to the "Other Builds" location?

completely off topic so stop reading now if you wan't to stay on topic.

The first computer I ever built, maybe 20 years ago when I would have been 14 was a 486 based processor made by a company named Cyrix I think. I was so proud to have built a computer and back then it actually took some skill. Unlike now days where I discovered it's just plug and play. I bought the Cyrix processor because at 14 I didn't have the funds to purchase an Intel processor. I also have always enjoyed rooting for the underdog.

My next few computers growing up were always AMD based for cost and of course rooting for the underdog. It wasn't until 2009 when I bought my 1st intel processor in my laptop. Shortly after the HP EX487 came with one and now both our laptops are intel based.

Our desktop is still AMD, it's a Phenom II X4 840 we got for 50.00 with a free motherboard at Microcenter last year.

I feel like I have abandoned an old friend, given up on the underdog, but it's ok. I peeled the Intel stickers off our laptops/EX487 so no one knows but me. It's my dirty little secret.

Anyone remember buying all your parts from computershopper, that giant magazine?

Edited by jeffla

I think I put this post in the wrong place. Rich, can you move it to the "Other Builds" location?

I moved it Mike. BTW...you crack me up! Good luck with the search. Go big or go home.

So after a little searching, I am comparing these two setups (only the parts that differ are listed):

i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz with a Gigabyte MB - GA-X79-UD3 LGA 2011

or

i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5 GHz with a Gigabyte MB - GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155

I would use the same ram and water cooler (H-80) in both systems. This system would not be for gaming and all of the video streaming software I have tested, don't use the video card for h.264 encoding, so the CPU is the main component for this system.

I moved it Mike. BTW...you crack me up! Good luck with the search. Go big or go home.

In that I am crazy to be rebuilding this system for something that doesn't make me any money or the way I posted the question above?

I would stick with LGA 1155. Plus you could then use Virtue MVP to assist in video conversion using your GPU resources as well.

Edited by Renny

Welcome home from The Dark Side...all is forgiven. Live long and prosper.....wait that's two movies. Oh well, follow the yellow brick road.

I would stick with LGA 1155. Plus you could then use Virtue MVP to assist in video conversion using your GPU resources as well.

Tell me more about this. Does it work with all software and is it rock solid for hours of hard pushing?

Welcome home from The Dark Side...all is forgiven. Live long and prosper.....wait that's two movies. Oh well, follow the yellow brick road.

Actually I think you meant: You do not know the power of the Dark Side. Clearly AMD is the Rebel Alliance, although in this parallel universe Intel's Death Star blew up their base at Hoth before they got out. :-)