RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSE2012 - no Hyper-V / virtualization support?

Jason

Is it true that only WS2012 will include Hyper-V support? Am currently running WS2008R2 with both Win 7 and WHS 2011 Hyper-V VMs and was hoping to continue this practice after migrating to WSE2012. Although I could certainly retire the WHS2011 VM at that point, I had hoped that I could simply migrate the Win 7 VM (VHD) over to WSE2012.

I've gotten in the habit of trying to limit the apps that I installed on the core server OS (host OS) as much as possible (i.e. antivirus). And installing the necessary apps within the guest OS VMs.

How are others using WS2008R2 w/ Hyper-V planning to migrate to WSE2012 if at all?

Anxious to hear everyone's take on this.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• timekills

• Joe_Miner

• Jason

Neither WHS 2011 or SBSE 2011 offered Hyper-V support so I presume WSE2012 will continue to exclude that role. Your case is simple, just add the WSE2012 install as a Hyper V client.

Neither WHS 2011 or SBSE 2011 offered Hyper-V support so I presume WSE2012 will continue to exclude that role. Your case is simple, just add the WSE2012 install as a Hyper V client.

jmwillis, so you're suggesting keeping the WS2008R2 server host OS and WSE2012 as a new VM under WS2008R2? Was hoping to move away from running a server within a server if I could help it. Wasn't sure whether there was a way to install Hyper-V under WSE2012 so I could simply move my Win 7 VM over to WSE2012 eliminating WS2008R2 from equation altogether.

With only one physical box, I don't see a way around it other than running ESXi server. ESXi will consume less physical resources as a host.

You could replace 2008R2 with S2012-core and then load S2012E & W7 in HyperV clients.

You could replace 2008R2 with S2012-core and then load S2012E & W7 in HyperV clients.

Joe_Miner, as much as I was hoping to get away from the added complexity of having a S2012-core server running VMs -- particular another server OS, there are apps/processes that I rely on currently that only install or function within a Win 7 environment thus prompting me to create a Win 7 hyper-v VM. Had hoped to migrate my existing VHD over into WSE2012 and then simply run a single Win 7 VM under WSE2012 as it would give me best of both worlds.

What path do you think you'll take? Am curious to hear your approach.

For me, Windows Server Core is a non-starter. You can migrate your existing Hyper-V Clients (.vhd images) over to an ESXi environment.. To me this is the best of both worlds, as neither OS is dependent on the other.