RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Creating the Digital Bookshelf in WHS

jvk

After listening to the Bonus Podcast about digital archound, yes I listened to the entire podcast, I got inspired to do a little digital archiving of my own. So far in my Franken-build WHS I have ripped all my CDs and DVDs, archived all of my photos and recipes, and store all of my documents/spreadsheets there as well. But there is one more media source that is still not digitized... my bookself. And thanks to Diehard and the bonus podcast that is starting to change. I decided to use PDFs as my document of choice and I have a flat bed all-in-one scanner that is very sloooooooooooowwwwwww. At a 45 second scan time per page it would take years to scan all of my books. I went on e-bay and found a fujitsu scansnap FI-5110eox2. It is about the size of a football and it scans both the front and back sides at the same time.

scan.JPG

After doing a little research I determined that the most economical way to "de-bind" books is to use a box cutter with a sharp blade combined with a ruler.

scan1.JPG

In a perfect world, I think a band saw would be best, but I don't have access to one. After the initial cut removing the cover, I continue to slice through the pages using the binding as a straight edge. Clean cuts scan best and you need to be careful to not have any of the binding glue left on the pages since it will gunk up the scanner...

scan2.JPG
scan3.JPG

The scanner is very fast and the included software detects if the image is color or black and white, it will remove blank pages, and rotate pages if necessary. Using this method, a 150 page paperback book can be de-binded, scanned, and archived on my windows home server in about 10 minutes. Not to bad! Scanned books get recycled, and I do not feel that converting my paper copy to a single digital copy violates any copy right laws, but I'm sure there are those that would argue that point.

Here is a look at the recycling bag...

scan5.JPG

thanks for reading and thanks for inspiration DieHard!

jvk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jvk

• ikon

Where are the smilies on here. I need the one that is shocked.

I don't have a lot of books because I hate to read. All audio books for me. But even for the ones I do have, there is no way I could destroy them just to have a digital copy.

Are you going to do it for all books or just some of them? I have too many books of my favorite sports team that I just couldn't destroy.

Wow, I'm happy you enjoyed my 1st attempt at a casual interview with Greg Welch on his setup and DA2010 AND you lasted until the end. Nice touch with the photos.

You made a great choice with that scanner, it's really fast and is the top recommended brand suggested by Digital Archound. http://digitalarchound.com/page1009.aspx

Thanks.

You hate to read?!?!?! We have a dedicated library in our house and routine add 5-10 books a weekend at garage sales and another 20-50 at the bi-annual Friends of the Library book sale. I'm not a fan of eBooks and probably never will be.

I like the idea though. I might check out that device. Would make scanning quite simple. I do have a flatbed with an ADF, but I haven't actually used it ever (was a gift from a friend).

Yes I do. Primarily because I fall asleep after reading a page or two. It is horrible. I also see it as a huge time waster because I can't multitask. I do not use eBooks either because that is still reading. I am a huge fan of audio books though. Any time I am in the car, I am listening to a book. The wife hates it but I think she is used to it now.

Yea it is a bummer that I have to de-bind the books, but I don't see it as destryoing them. To me a book is a container of information and if that is in physical or digital form, the information is still there. Additionally having it digitally opens up new features such as being able to access them from my remote access website and OCR... and I guess if you like audio books, maybe there is a piece of software out there that is capable of reading OCR to you like an audio book :)

Additionally I move quite frequently and lugging around all those text books from undergrad and grad school gets old.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
jvk

Hard core man, hard core!

However, I would just add that once this is done, the books aren't necessarily destroyed. One could use a binder machine and have a spiral or other form of binding on these books in short order and at no great expense.

I'll put it another way:

If you had a collection of home movies that you had on DVD and that you copied onto you WHS do you:

a) Toss away the DVD's thinking you'll never need them again

B) Place the DVD's in a safe place in case of server failure

Yep that is true I could bind then and place them back on the shelf. I wonder what google does when they scan all their books?

Regarding the question, the DVDs that I have copied on my WHS I keep in my closet. I guess I keep them since copying them is not destructive and the physical space required to store them is very small.

Of course you wouldn't toss them. But then again, ripping a DVD's doesn't impact the original content at all. Unbinding a book does. It's not a total loss, but it does impact it.

I love the idea of doing this with all my mags, i have a huge collection of Photography magazines, and would love them all to available as pdfs on my whs and then synced up with my iphone.

Is there any software that would recognise hyperlinks in the text from a page, and then create a clickable hyperlink in the resulting PDF, that would be awesone, if i could get this functionality i would go out and buy a scanner and get cutting up all my mags.

These posts with pictures in a a real treat, they really engage the reader, keep it up.

If anyone can be bothered to tell me how to do it i would post more and include pics