RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing WHS2011 on a small SSD in a MicroServer

Joe_Miner

thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure. I thought since it's reading the cfg.ini from a USB when installing from DVD, I thought it may have to be in a different location *shrug*

• 1 month later...

I was succesfull in installing WS2012e on a 60 GB SSD using the RTM MSDN image by using the cfg.ini process AND installing a 2nd HDD (in my case a 500GB). I installed the ISO using a flash drive and I just put the cfg.ini file in the root directory.

I was unsuccesful when not having the 2nd HDD. I would get the same error as above "Some issues were found" and indicating I did not meet the 90GB limit. So adding a HDD >90GB, even if not the target HDD for the OS, worked.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the tread. All this help me get over that wall.

Ivan

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I recently bought a N54L and want to install WHS 2011 on it. I have an old 32GB SSD but I haven't seen anyone attempt anything smaller than a 60GB. Will my 32GB have enough space?

Also, I do not have an external DVD drive, if I install WHS 2011 from a bootable USB stick, do I just put the cfg.ini in the root directory?

Thanks.

32GB will not be large enough in my opinion.  You might get it installed, but I have always been told to leave 25% of the OS Drive free for expansion.  I think you will actually run slower or no faster than you are now.

To answer your other question, I believe you can use the Windows USB installer to make the iso image bootable and still be able to edit the drive to place the file as needed.  If not, there are plenty of other third party tools out there to make a USB stick bootable.

Hi,

I recently bought a N54L and want to install WHS 2011 on it. I have an old 32GB SSD but I haven't seen anyone attempt anything smaller than a 60GB. Will my 32GB have enough space?

Also, I do not have an external DVD drive, if I install WHS 2011 from a bootable USB stick, do I just put the cfg.ini in the root directory?

Thanks.

I just looked at my WHS2011 install and it is currently using 30GB on the SSD.  As JMWills mentions above, even if it fits you are too close to the limit and a 32GB SSD doesn't actually have 32GB of useable space on it.

To answer your 2nd question you only needed to read post #13 above (directly in front of yours) and you will see that forum member put the CFG file in the root of their USB that also contained the ISO install image.