RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Earlkonig

Slow transfer speeds after converting to WHS 2011.

Earlkonig

Ok this is where I am at on troubleshooting this issue. I have installed all the new drives in the server. I have ran smart check and atto on all three disk. Everything looks really good and cant wait to see these guys in a raid 5 config. I copied a single file to one disk that is around 3GB. This disk is not being utilized for any task atm. Transferred from the server (that particualr WD30 Red drive) and about maxed out my gigabit connection. Short burst like that do not seem to be the issue. I am just hoping that the Samsungs just need a little work and they will be back going. Right now im using disk that transfer faster and are about 2 - 5 years old. I keep trying to phase these things out but they keep on working with no issues.

Wow I really need to start proof reading my post. LOL sorry about the jumbled grammar.

dvn
Well I think I am going to just bang my head into the wall now. I think the controller on the Mobo is the issue. Once I load up the disk with transfers speeds tends to drop off longer it goes. Bench mark testing on the disk alone show everything to be ok but, that is for a short time. I have increased the fan speed on the case fans to generate more air flow. I still think the samsung disk are lacking but I will benchmark those again on my main machine since it is doing as it should.

Part of that drop off is due to the HDD cache. Initially, the cache is ahead if the data transfer, but over a period of time it falls behind. The amount of memory assigned to each port of your switch makes a difference too. More memory, higher extended transfer rates. Re disk cache, same thing applies to the receiving HDD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Earlkonig

Update. I have been hammering on the Samsung disk on my main PC. They are fine. I am getting 120MBps to 140MBps on read and write. I check SuperMicro's web site for an update to my chipset drivers. As of now I have the most current set of drivers. Maybe its a compatability issue with WHS 2011 and my x7sbl-ln2 mobo. I didnt have these issues with WHS v1. Only thing has changed prior to the red drives is new O/S and additional memory. Memory check seems to show all is good there. BTW over the network for large transfer from a red drive to my main pc speeds do eventually drop off down to 20Mbps. So I am hoping my mobo will be ok to be used with the 2720sgl. That is the onlything I can conclude to at this time.

dvn

Ya, 20 is way low. Keep us posted. I'll be interested to hear how they do connected to the 2720.

Earlkonig

HUGE update. I have narrowed the issue and have created a solution. It was the mobo chipset. It was getting to hott for comfort I guess. Supermicro PC Doc showed the mobo to be at 92F. Long story short in my bed room in addition to my central air and heat i have a window A/C unit. I cranked it down to 67 and removed the side of the case. Doing a 100 GB transfer and running strong at 68MBps. So when the card arrives I am going to switch the rear fan to push air into the cast and install an additional 120mm can to push in from the side. If this works then I will order filters for all the new fans.

Not sure why after I install WHS 2011 this problem has came to light. Anyone have any ideas?

Earlkonig

Ok guys the performance of the 2720sgl is amazing. Quick question though I noticed my writes are slower now then when I had single disk installed on benchmarking.

dvn

RAID5? Sound's right. Otherwise I don't know. They should be comparable. Configuration?

timekills

Couple comments:

1) Sounds like you are on target with the chipset heat, although that surprises me on a SuperMicro board. You could attach a small (i.e. 40mm) fan to the chip itself to cool it rather than trying to go crazy cooling everything (i.e. open case next to AC...)

2) I used 5 x Samsung 2040UIs in a RAID5 on WHS V1 and transferred the whole RAID to WHS2011 without any formatting or changes. Data intact. When I measured speeds off the RAID, I 60t vicinity around 460 MB/sec writes and as fast as 500+MB/sec reads. The RocketRaid crd I have does allow for write caching which helps some with the write speeds. Point is, I'm not sure any realignment is required.

dvn

I know they're attached to the 2720 but in what configuration?

Earlkonig

Did some more benchmarking. I am at 250MBps on read and writes on a three drive raid 5. I think I can live with that. Right now I have the Samsung drives in raid 1 backing up critical data off the server. All seems to be going well.

Edited by Earlkonig