RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Earlkonig

Slow transfer speeds after converting to WHS 2011.

Earlkonig

A few more thoughts...

• Check drive health with Crystal Disk Info
  • Try new/differnt SATA cables
  • Check 4k alignment on the drives - use Diskpart command, or see next post below
  • Check for new chipset/hard disk controller drivers
  • Uninitialize the drive (so you can re-initialize them)...Diskpart - list disk, select disk, clean, exit ...or... Wipe the drives (DBAN, Secure Erase, any of a number of wipe utilities). Then attach them to your maintain PC, initialize and format them; then run Crystal Disk Mark or some other benchmark tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

BTW this little script you turned me on to is pretty nice thanks.

Guys I want to thank you all for helping me with this. I have been an enthusiast of networking technologies and been slowly getting into the microsoft server product line. Mainly I have been held back by cost. I have learned valuable lessons on troubleshooting the through put of my server and thats why I joined here to ask my questions. I have read alot of different forums and I can say this is one of the finer sites that offers the best technical explanations. Thanks again.

pcdoc

Sound like you are making good progress and glad to hear you have narrowed down the issue. I suspect once you put the new drives in you will flying files across your network with ease. Good luck and keep us posted.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Uninitialize the drive (so you can re-initialize them)...Diskpart - list disk, select disk, clean, exit ...or... Wipe the drives (DBAN, Secure Erase, any of a number of wipe utilities). Then attach them to your maintain PC, initialize and format them; then run Crystal Disk Mark or some other benchmark tool.

What does the clean action do?

dvn

Uninitializes the drive. No wipe. A chance to let disk management (re) initialize an HDD with the correct alignment.

*edit: diskpart clean command clarified below

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Uninitializes the drive. No wipe. A chance to let disk management (re) initialize an HDD with the correct alignment.

I ask because I was applying an image to a desktop the other day and ran into problems. I was told to use diskpart to clean the drive in order to start over. The process was too quick to format the drive so I am curious what it did to understand how it helped start the image process over.

dvn

So let me correct myself. This is from microsoft's website:

clean

Removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk with focus. On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information and hidden sector information are overwritten. On GUID partition table (GPT) disks, the GPT partitioning information, including the Protective MBR, is overwritten; there is no hidden sector information.

Clean [all]

Specifies that each and every sector on the disk is zeroed, which completely deletes all data contained on the disk.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Thanks for the info. I am surprised it can do it so fast.

dvn

'clean'

"On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information and hidden sector information are overwritten."

That's why it's fast.

'clean all' specifies that the entire drive is overwritten, a one-pass with zeroes event. This one takes a while.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

'clean'

"On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information and hidden sector information are overwritten."

That's why it's fast.

'clean all' specifies that the entire drive is overwritten, a one-pass with zeroes event. This one takes a while.

Oops, I missed that the first time I read it. Thanks for pointing it out so clearly.

Earlkonig

Well I think I am going to just bang my head into the wall now. I think the controller on the Mobo is the issue. Once I load up the disk with transfers speeds tends to drop off longer it goes. Bench mark testing on the disk alone show everything to be ok but, that is for a short time. I have increased the fan speed on the case fans to generate more air flow. I still think the samsung disk are lacking but I will benchmark those again on my main machine since it is doing as it should.