RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Earlkonig

Slow transfer speeds after converting to WHS 2011.

Earlkonig

For the sake of repeating information here is the link to the other post I made about this situation. Just made one here since it pertains more to this area. Give me some input on this issue. I have a good gigabit network. Fastest network transfer speed I have seen is 7MB/s. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4244-rocketraid-2720sgl-compatability-with-super-mirco-x7sbl-ln2/.

jmwills

Is there a pure switch involved or are you using the router as a switch on the network?

dvn

Haven't seen speeds that low since I tested an unjumpered AF HDD on a v1 box. Speeds maxed out under 10 Mbps.

Have logged onto the server and looked in task manager to see what's happening during the transfers? Looking for a process that's eating up resources? Cables are secure? Server HDDs in good shape? What's between the pc and server? Switch? Try another port?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Joe_Miner

Have you tested your network with Lan Speed Test?

If it's not your Lan then it would seem likely to be your HD or it controller.

Below is my LAN Speed Test results from my WHS2011 on a MicroServer to my HTPC.

gallery_1229_27_6936.jpg

pcdoc

Lets define that you have a good network. Can you elaborate at what you have done and how you tested it. Have you tried PC to PC (not the server) and if so what did you get? Have you tried different PC's to your server, and lastly, have you tested the speeds of your drives (server) using a benchmarking tool? Your speeds should be between 60-110 depending on hardware. The problem can be either in the server itself or the network it is attached to. You need to rule these out separately. I would start by benchmarking the server. RDP into the server and run ATTO or Crystalmark on each drive and see how it performs. If the server can handle the performance, then it points to the network. Using the tool that Joe_Miner used, you can then test the speed of each system to the server to look for consistency. Remember that you are only as fast as your weakest link so if there is something wrong in your server, it will bring everything to a crawl. We need a bit more information so we can help.

Earlkonig

Sure thing. Let me download the disk benchmark tool. Right now I am running that lan speed test as we speak. It is not looking good but, i need to determine if it is the server or something else first to validate the network is truly bad. BTW this is being served by a dell power edge gig switch.

Earlkonig

Ok fast update just noticed that the CPU is maxed out on the performance monitor on all four cores. Only thing I have running extra is crashplan and apc powerchute. I left the server alone for about five hours and started to copy small 12GB files. I was getting around 50-70 MBs speeds then. After awhile it started to tapper off. Running benchmarks as we speak.

BTW how can i see what is using resources and of what kind?

Earlkonig

Ok still testing but when using that tool that Joe_Miner used I noticed that when I test to folders on the WD RE4 250GB O/S drive I get 499 Mbps on writing and 623 Mbps on reading. The file sized use for that test was 2048GB. That said I move to the Samsung HD204ui that came out of my WHS v1 with the same benchmark. Same hardware minus extra ram and new O/S. Write is 120 Mbps and Read is 100Mps. Running the same lan tool from the server back to my Windows 7 PC I get 541Mbps writing and 669Mbps read. On top of that when I run Atto and benchmark that Samsung HD204ui i am getting 12MBps average on reads and even lower on writes. This drive was working fine with WHS V1. Can I do anything to correct this or am I out.

Earlkonig

Looks like both HD204UI are bad according to atto. I am only getting around 20MBps transfer on a read. I bought both of these at the same time. There cant be anyway they both went bad when I install WHS 2011. Is there something I need to do to them since I had them in my whs v1 setup. I have reformatted them several times.

dvn

A few more thoughts...

• Check drive health with Crystal Disk Info
  • Try new/differnt SATA cables
  • Check 4k alignment on the drives - use Diskpart command, or see next post below
  • Check for new chipset/hard disk controller drivers
  • Uninitialize the drive (so you can re-initialize them)...Diskpart - list disk, select disk, clean, exit ...or... Wipe the drives (DBAN, Secure Erase, any of a number of wipe utilities). Then attach them to your maintain PC, initialize and format them; then run Crystal Disk Mark or some other benchmark tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2