RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr Bill

Network Storage Recommendations (Synology DS1812+)

Mr Bill

Good day all,

Well I have had my Synology DS1812+ now for over a week and feel like I haven’t even scraped the surface as to what it can do. There is a lot of learning on all of the capabilities of the unit.

Well I said that I would share some test results after I had it up and running, so here is the data.

The unit is capable of 8 drives. One thing that I found out is that if you plan on using their SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) which allows you to combine different sizes of hard disks to create a large volume, which the smallest drive that you use in the initial configuration will constrain you from having any smaller drives added in the future. Prior to finding this out, I had just ordered three each 3TB drives and was going to call that good. But after I found out about this limitation, I added two each 2TB drives to give me more flexibility for future expansion.

Here is the general information on the unit.

sigeneral.jpg

Here is the current HD load out.

Three each 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001

Two each 2TB WD Caviar Green WD20EARS

sistorage.jpg

I used a tool called LAN Speed Test to determine read and write speeds for the unit across the 1GB network.

lanspeedtest.jpg

The client computer for these tests is running an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe with an Intel Core I7-2600 all set to stock settings.

I ran speed tests with a 1GB file and a 4GB file.

I ran each test a total of ten times. Here is a summary of the results.

readings.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with the unit; it has a lot of capabilities that will take some time to learn. I definitely feel that this was a good choice for me and that it is a well-built piece of hardware that I will not outgrow for a long time.

pcdoc

Good day all,

Well I have had my Synology DS1812+ now for over a week and feel like I haven’t even scraped the surface as to what it can do. There is a lot of learning on all of the capabilities of the unit.

Well I said that I would share some test results after I had it up and running, so here is the data.

The unit is capable of 8 drives. One thing that I found out is that if you plan on using their SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) which allows you to combine different sizes of hard disks to create a large volume, which the smallest drive that you use in the initial configuration will constrain you from having any smaller drives added in the future. Prior to finding this out, I had just ordered three each 3TB drives and was going to call that good. But after I found out about this limitation, I added two each 2TB drives to give me more flexibility for future expansion.

Here is the general information on the unit.

sigeneral.jpg

Here is the current HD load out.

Three each 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001

Two each 2TB WD Caviar Green WD20EARS

sistorage.jpg

I used a tool called LAN Speed Test to determine read and write speeds for the unit across the 1GB network.

lanspeedtest.jpg

The client computer for these tests is running an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe with an Intel Core I7-2600 all set to stock settings.

I ran speed tests with a 1GB file and a 4GB file.

I ran each test a total of ten times. Here is a summary of the results.

readings.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with the unit; it has a lot of capabilities that will take some time to learn. I definitely feel that this was a good choice for me and that it is a well-built piece of hardware that I will not outgrow for a long time.

Very nice. This is certainly the fastest NAS unit I have seen. Thanks for sharing and doing the testing.

ikon

Very nice so far. I'm still waiting to see how the unit performs with a bunch of the apps running. My experience with Synology is that the CPU and RAM aren't up to the job. With a couple of the apps running it's OK, but with 4 or more it bogs down and the client experience suffers. I hope that's not true of this one.

Nnyan

That looks like a nice box, I considered a few Synology boxes myself but ended up going with the QNAP (damn slow ground shipping!!!).  I'll be curious to see how well it performs.