RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr Bill

Network Storage Recommendations (Synology DS1812+)

Mr Bill

Good day all,

I am looking for a storage solution to supplement my existing MediaSmart EX490.

I am thinking of something like the Synology DS1812+ Diskless System DiskStation

I am looking at something that I will not outgrow and was looking at this unit. I would start out with 4 drives. I am also looking for the unit to work with an ESX5 VMware server that is in the process of getting up and running.

I am interested in your input, cautions, recommendations and such.

ikon

If it's just storage, and you are prepared to attach it to your server, I like the Lian-Li EX-503s. I have 2 of them and they work really well.

jmwills

An HP Microserver running ESXi or Server 2008/2012 would be a good solution. I have one now running 2008R2 that my Homeserver syncs to.

Mr Bill

I am looking for it to be accessed via the network as a media repository, also I would like that data to be accessable via the internet.

I believe that the Synology software that Dave has done some reviews on gives all of the connectivity options that I am looking for.

An HP Microserver running ESXi or Server 2008/2012 would be a good solution. I have one now running 2008R2 that my Homeserver syncs to.

Does the microserver have enough horsepower to run ESX5? I had thought that its processor was equivalent to an Atom processor.

Dave

<Synology FanBoy steps into the room>

I would love to have the 1812. It's a monster. If I had that I don't know that I would use a server any longer!

The Synology products are all highly accessible via local or remote networks. There are a ton of apps that they run as well. iTunes, email, web, SQL, WP, etc. You can setup your own cloud service with it and share data. If you have cameras you instantly have a monitoring/aggregation system.

Best thing I could tell you to do is to look on the Synology product page and then find the compatibility list. Look at your router, drives, cameras, etc. Truth be told, I'm not sure if I have a single item in their list but it all works together.

Lastly, I believe the 1812 is certified "officially" for VMware. It works great with iSCSI

jmwills

It will run it just fine.

Joe_Miner

I am looking for it to be accessed via the network as a media repository, also I would like that data to be accessable via the internet.

I believe that the Synology software that Dave has done some reviews on gives all of the connectivity options that I am looking for.

Does the microserver have enough horsepower to run ESX5? I had thought that its processor was equivalent to an Atom processor.

Another option to consider is the MicroServer with WHS2011.

Several people on the Forums have run ESXi 5 on the MicroServer and a few (including me) have run Hyper-V on it.

Mr Bill

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Synology DS1812+ and I am starting out with 3 each 3TB drives.

I am looking forward to getting this set up and reporting back on status.

Thanks for all of the input.

ikon

That's a pretty massive box overall. 8x3TB drives gives a lot of storage.

pcdoc

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Synology DS1812+ and I am starting out with 3 each 3TB drives.

I am looking forward to getting this set up and reporting back on status.

Thanks for all of the input.

Would love to see some real life benchmarks. I saw this at CES and it is impressive.