RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup

wjburl

When I installed WHS 2011, the 500GB drive was partitioned into a small one for the OS and a larger one for the typical shared folders. I later moved those folders to the RAID drive. The old folders are still there, but empty. I was wondering if I could put my server on that partition and and use Allway Sync to copy the backup to my NAS.? Are there any pitfalls in doing this?

Guess I found out by trying. The wizard didn't find any available drives. I have a 2TB, USB 3.0 drive that I will probably try. Now I have to figure out a way to make use of that larger partition on the drive that has the OS partition.

Now I have to figure out a way to make use of that larger partition on the drive that has the OS partition.

Why? It's not like it cost much. If you like, you could use Disk Mangler to extend the OS partition, if you wanted to install other stuff on the OS (SQL Server, SharePoint, etc.). Otherwise, why not just write it off as part of the cost of WHS2011? I completely fail to understand why people think they just absolutely have to use up this empty space.

Why? It's not like it cost much. If you like, you could use Disk Mangler to extend the OS partition, if you wanted to install other stuff on the OS (SQL Server, SharePoint, etc.). Otherwise, why not just write it off as part of the cost of WHS2011? I completely fail to understand why people think they just absolutely have to use up this empty space.

I guess the empty space has to be used and it is not reasonable to leave it empty.

Once the server backup drive fills up, you could copy/archive those files to that volume, format the existing drive and reuse it.

I guess the empty space has to be used and it is not reasonable to leave it empty.

Well, yeah, actually it is perfectly reasonable to leave it empty, although I still think expanding the OS partition is the best use of the space.

No can do with the expansion. Once that volume size is set...that's it, at least from within the Disk Mgt applet.