RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trials & Tribulations with Acronis True Image Home 2012

ikon

The title says it all. I bought ATIH-2012 primarily for the disk cloning capability, which worked great for moving my OS drive to my new OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD.

So, since pcdoc seems to love ATIH-2012 so much I thought I would give it a shot as a WHS2011 Client Backup replacement. Well, the picture has NOT been pretty. I have tried backing up my Vertex drive to a WHS2011 share, and to my D: drive. Every single time (and I've tried at least 6 times) Acronis reports that the backup has failed. Attempts to Verify the backup image fail every time with "The backup file is corrupted"..

I ran CHKDSK on the Vertex just to be sure the file system is intact: no errors were reported. I also tried searching the Acronis KB and forums: didn't really see anything applicable.

So far, for me, Acronis True Image Home 2012 has been anything but True Image.

Based on my experiece so far, I couldn't recommend it to anybody. Thank goodness pcdoc has had success. Otherwise, I would simply give up on it.

If anyone has any ideas, shout 'em out.

[Edit]

So I just tried using the built in Windows Backup: it also failed. Could the WHS connector have anything to do with it perhaps?

Edited by ikon

I've used WIn7's backup to a Synology box just fine. Is it possible to "Acronis" a second drive on your system to the WHS? I don't recall it's capabilities and if that is even possible to test.

One variable, every install I have backup to a local drive. I have never tried it to a WHS folder. Since I backup my systems to WHS, I did not want to have a second backup there, I want it to a separate drive. Sorry to hear you having issues backing up to WHS

I have tried backing up my Vertex drive to a WHS2011 share, and to my D: drive.

Doesn't seem to matter; local or remote.

FWIW, I just did a backup from my Vertex and restored to a laptop drive using the WHS Client Backup. No issues. Hmmmmm.....

Doesn't seem to matter; local or remote.

FWIW, I just did a backup from my Vertex and restored to a laptop drive using the WHS Client Backup. No issues. Hmmmmm.....

Strange. First time I heard about this issue. Keep us posted on your progress.

Have you tried a restore from WHS?

jmwills, I'm beginning to worry about you mate: look up 4 posts (my previous one) :)

Strange. First time I heard about this issue. Keep us posted on your progress.

I may have discovered part of the problem(s). I had deleted the reserved 100MB partition from my C: drive, as it didn't seem relevant to me. It appears ATIH 2012 uses that space to track file changes for incremental backups at least; not sure about other backup schemes.

I'm going to make another post with my latest experiences with ATIH 2012. This product has me infuriated unlike any other product in recent memory.

OK, as promised, more of my experiences.

First, as I mentioned above, it may well be that True Image Home 2012 couldn't backup successfully because I had deleted the 100MB Reserved Partition from my OS drive. OK, fair enough. But, hey, wait a sec; if that's the case, then why didn't ATIH 2012 tell me that? I mean, really... seriously, it just fails the backup. How idiotic is that?

Since I couldn't get it working, and there were a few other niggling issues with the system, including the fact that Outlook 2010 would use up 100% of available RAM in a matter of seconds and cause the system to BSOD, I decided to reinstall from scratch.

I ran Windows Easy Transfer to at least get my personal settings saved, then took the plunge and re-installed Win7. After getting Security Essentials re-installed and creating an initial WHS Backup, I installed ATIH 2012 onto my D: drive. I put it onto D: drive because I didn't want to chew up precious SSD space for a backup utility. Despite my wishes, it still put some stuff onto my C: drive. Why do developers insist on doing that? It's aggravating! I said D: drive damnit, so put it there!

I selected Start Application at the end of the install and up came ATIH. Immediately, it complained, uh, err, I mean it informed me that there is a newer version, would I like to install it? Well, I'm a FireFly fan, I like shiny, so of course I would.

I let it download the upgrade and install. Now, one would think the developers would be sober enough to think to check where the program is currently installed and to install the upgrade in the same place. But no, ATIH installed completely onto the C: drive - exactly where I did NOT want it! Grrrrr.

So, I used my freshly made WHS Backup to completely restore the system, yet again.

This time, when I went to install ATIH, I let it go out an check for an update as part of the initial install. If did its thing and I selected to have it installed on D: drive again. Again, it insisted on installing some files on C: drive, which I had come to expect but still dislike. The real question is what will happen when the next upgrade comes along: will it insist on installing on drive C: again?

Now comes an odd item - naming of backups. ATIH uses My Partitions.tib as its default name for backups, at least when doing Incrementals. It has a data entry box where you can change it to something you prefer, except half the time it doesn't work. I have no idea why, but it ignored the name I entered and reverted to My Partitions again. Mind you, the name I picked was still showing in the data entry box (and yes, I had already saved the settings).

At the moment, ATIH seems to be working. I created and initial backup, and 2 followon incremental backups, using my name, and there were no errors. I've got my fingers crossed.

Now I have to test Recovery. I hope that's much less 'interesting' than backing up was.