RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

V1 Server Restore Problems

Mr Bill

Good day all,

My MediaSmart server had been locking up for no apparent reason. The OS drive had shown only 1 error on the smart drive monitor.

Now it will not boot up at all. If I remove the data drives it will still not boot up. Plugging in a video monitor and watching the boot sequence it starts to boot, I see the Windows Home Server logo, then a blank screen for a while, the “Widows us starting up….” Then another long wait, then the “Appling computer settings…..” screen. I have left it sit at the Appling computer setting screen for over 15 minutes and it will not get past this.

I have run SpinRite on the OS drive and it found no errors on the primary “C” partition. I didn’t wait the extra 24 hours for it to check the “D” data portion of the drive.

I have tried a restore, but the client is unable to find the server. I can see the server when looking at the list of machines on the router. I can ping the server. But the restore application is still unable to find the server. I have tried this on my home network and also on a stand-alone network with only a router, the server, and a client. I can confirm that the server is in restore mode via the monitor and it is in PXE mode looking for a file to start the restore, but it states that no file was received. “PXE-E53: No boot filename received”.

The server tries to find the PXE boot about 10 times them just hangs.

I have tried the restore from my desktop client and two different laptops with the same results.

Any thoughts and or help would be greatly appreciated.

What model MediaSmart server do you have ? When you say you connect a montitor to the server, does that mean you bought the 3rd party video cable ?

Have you connected the OS drive as a secondary to another computer and run CHKDSK on it. Just a couple of days ago I was handed a drive, with the requisite plea for help, on which there were 2 partitions. Only the 2nd partition was accessible.

I ran SpinRite on it and it found nothing noteworthy. I then ran CHKDSK and it reported a bunch of Directory issues. After repairing them, the parition was good as new.

I know the 49X series is very finicky with network cards. I tried a couple of NIC's before being able to restore. I think i even went with a straight cable too. Crossover.

I think i even went with a straight cable too. Crossover.

Soungs like a contradiction at first. I know what you mean, but it sounds a little odd; made me chuckle :)

Thanks to John, it is back up and running.

Brain fart on my end, I was trying to use ex485 disks from my old server. This one is a ex490.

Amazing the difference a few numbers make.

New OS drive and with John's help performed a recovery, now back up and running with all data intact.

Thanks to all for the input.

This just proves how valuable our local community is here.

Thanks to John, it is back up and running.

Brain fart on my end, I was trying to use ex485 disks from my old server. This one is a ex490.

Amazing the difference a few numbers make.

New OS drive and with John's help performed a recovery, now back up and running with all data intact.

Thanks to all for the input.

This just proves how valuable our local community is here.

Join the club. I have so many brain farts these days I think I have brain diar.... well, you get the idea. :P

Soungs like a contradiction at first. I know what you mean, but it sounds a little odd; made me chuckle :)

Could i have been a little more confusing? Probably not. Just for clarification of my cryptic writing I used a cable to go from PC to PC instead of going through any network devices. I used a crossover cable(cross pins 1,3 and 2, 6) and static IP addresses. Thankfully OP's issue didn't require such measures.