RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tinkererguy

Remove WS2012E from its own Domain (into a Workgroup), so systems (that are members of another domain) can also be backed up?

tinkererguy

In this thread, we conclude that probably the biggest drawback to WHS2012E's insistence on being a domain controller is that we cannot backup systems that are already a member of another domain:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4194-windows-server-2012-essentials-to-replace-windows-home-server-2012/page__st__120#entry43841

Back in Windows 2008 R2, the procedure called "Removing a Domain Controller from a Domain" was possible (although not necessarily advisable):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771844(WS.10).aspx

1) Do we think that such a process will be found, to take the "Domain" out of Windows Server 2012 Essentials, and leave it pure "Workgroup"?

2) If it is possible to go pure Workgroup, will it break features?

3) Would going Workgroup remove all possibility of any support from Microsoft?

Given the client connector install seems to have very tight hooks with the automatic domain joining (for appropriate flavors of Windows 7), it seems likely it would break things, and not be at all supported by Microsoft, but that's just me guessing, would love to hear what others think.

This dialogue is really more out of curiosity really, as a lot can typically be learned about how software works by breaking it.

tinkererguy

It appears that many chapters in the migration of older products to WS2012E have yet to be written by Microsoft, seen at:

Migrate Windows SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2012 Essentialse Windows SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Will be interesting to see what develops.

Joe_Miner

In this thread, we conclude that probably the biggest drawback to WHS2012E's insistence on being a domain controller is that we cannot backup systems that are already a member of another domain:

http://homeserversho..._120#entry43841

Back in Windows 2008 R2, the procedure called "Removing a Domain Controller from a Domain" was possible (although not necessarily advisable):

http://technet.micro...844(WS.10).aspx

1) Do we think that such a process will be found, to take the "Domain" out of Windows Server 2012 Essentials, and leave it pure "Workgroup"?

2) If it is possible to go pure Workgroup, will it break features?

3) Would going Workgroup remove all possibility of any support from Microsoft?

Given the client connector install seems to have very tight hooks with the automatic domain joining (for appropriate flavors of Windows 7), it seems likely it would break things, and not be at all supported by Microsoft, but that's just me guessing, would love to hear what others think.

This dialogue is really more out of curiosity really, as a lot can typically be learned about how software works by breaking it.

The domain hooks seem to be many between the connector and S2012E. Much more breaking/learning to do.

Another question I see on the horizon (maybe everyone else has this figured out and I'm the slow one here) is how we get S2012E and our legacy Servers (2011 & V1) to talk to each other in some sort of peaceful coexistance and more importantly to be able to accomplish the data transfers when we want to transition up to S2012E and later use our old 2011 & V1 boxes as backups to the S2012E box.

jmwills

Wouldn't it just be easier to use something like Acronis to backup to one of the server folders? After you spend all this time ($$) trying to break the product, how reliable will it really be, not to mention you are trusting your backups to this process.

jcollison

I just picked up Acronis from that Newegg deal last weekend for $15 after much pressure from dvn. Going to try just that if I get some time this weekend. Need to try Paul's hack as well. Nice job guys! keep up the great research!

tinkererguy

So far, so good, removal of the Domain went well, and it sure isn't looking very hack-like, which could be good, now with screenshots added:

http://tinkertry.com...domain-removal/

Next up is testing for any side-effects. But if this all works out, then moving data from old WHS2011 to new WS2012E should be as simple as copying folders from old shares to new shares, just like I did when moving from WHSv1 to WHS2011.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

So far, so good, removal of the Domain went well, and it sure isn't looking very hack-like, which could be good, now with screenshots added:

http://tinkertry.com...domain-removal/

Next up is testing for any side-effects. But if this all works out, then moving data from old WHS2011 to new WS2012E should be as simple as copying folders from old shares to new shares, just like I did when moving from WHSv1 to WHS2011.

Exactly what I was wondering -- how to copy all those T's of data over from V1 & 2011 to S2012E!

Great article -- already tagged it to my Favorites in my Reference Folder.

The trick will be if the connector work ..........................

pcdoc

I just picked up Acronis from that Newegg deal last weekend for $15 after much pressure from dvn. Going to try just that if I get some time this weekend. Need to try Paul's hack as well. Nice job guys! keep up the great research!

It about time. Have had it running on WHS 2011 for a year now with no issues. That program has save my bacon more than once. Best cloning program on the market (IMO). I run on my primary system and WHS, the rest I do using WHS backup. The main reason is speed of recovery. I may change that in the future if the 2012E proves to be faster but right I can restore in 8-10 minutes to any size drive.

tinkererguy

Acronis really shines when cloning to a smaller hard drive, where WHS2011 sometimes refuses to do a restore.

For example

80GB of data on a 128GB SSD

Restore that to a 96GB SSD, WHS2011 may refuse (it's unpredictable), but Acronis will have no issue with it, resizing the partitions automatically.

Works great, and fast, especially for local disk to disk cloning, as pcdoc states.

And much faster than WHS2011 restores.

While WS2012E restores are looking to be a whole lot faster, its resizing (in)abilities haven't changed as far as I can tell.

Guest no-control

Paul where exactly are going with this? Is it a "see if I can" experiment? What will happen thing? I'm lost on why you're dumping time and energy into this. I'm all for dinking around a seeing what can be done. But again I've been following your blog (does odd things in chrome BTW) and still haven't seen a point for all this other than breaking it for fun.

So effectively making WS2012e WHS 2011?

Why go through all of this when there is already a products on the market that addresses what it appears you're working towards? I don't see how anyone can justify speding $400 on a software platform only to go in and rip out all of neat useful stuff.

To hopefully further the discussion why is a domain bad? No one has really addressed this. I was hinting at it on Jim's podcast, but no one ran with it. HSS isn't really discussing it either. Whats wrong with WS2012e as is from Microsoft?