RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LiveMesh on WHS

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Sure am, it's a great way to get remote access and sync files without poking any firewall holes. Works perfect, one of the first things I install!

Great to hear. I just installed on my test box and have remoted in. I guess I will have to instal on my production server given you have been using it. I take it without problems given you don't mention any. Thanks for the quick response.

PS Did you synch folders as well? If not, how did you remove them from the desktop. I know they don't have to be removed but I know it will annoy me.

I haven't installed it on my server yet. But I must say at work its a life saver!

I will test the desktop folder removal tomorrow and let u know

Use it. Love it. Recommend it. It's a must have. Never had any problems with it.

I also use it for remote work that I do for our church. A real time saver.

Yeah, I use it to sync folders, but not ones that are in the duplicated storage pool...i read somewhere that it could have problems and live mesh can't use UNC network shares as folders so you would have to address the folder through the D:\ naming convention which can have problems with tombstones. if you click on your username in the little live mesh window that pops up, and then go to options you can choose to hide folder shortcuts on the desktop for unsynchronized live mesh folders, if that's what you're getting at.

Which mesh folders (or if any) show on your desktop is configurable. There aren't any folders on the desktop to start with - just shortcuts to the content you have stored on your Live desktop. You choose which folders to sync on each system that you have Live Mesh installed on. Additionally, it doesn't have to be stored in a folder on your desktop - you can point mesh to any location on your system on a per-folder basis.

I agree with wodysweb - I wouldn't mess around with pointing a mesh folder at a duplicated share. That's just asking for trouble. I have mesh synchronizing several folders to a drive outside the WHS drive pool and have a share set up for other local computers. It's not duplicated on WHS but it is synced with several other computers plus the Live desktop so I'm not too concerned about losing anything out of the share if the drive failed.

There are a couple downsides - Sync speed between computers is pretty slow sometimes. And if you rebuild a system it shows up in your mesh as a new computer - even if you give it the same name. There doesn't seem to be any way of linking a new install to an existing computer in your mesh. not a big deal but can be a pain at times.

Speaking of that direct D: access, have any of you ever had problems doing that? I mean opening files using D: or copying files onto there, or even editing something directly on D:\*

I ask this because I've been doing it since day one (I use WHS as a remote desktop platform) and I have never ever had even the shadow of a problem. No data corruption, no health warnings, no read errors, everything works just fine. I even used one of my shares as a Wuala cache folder with no issues (other than all the open file warnings, which went away when I restarted Wuala).

I just want to know if there are specific issues, since I have not found any information on this other than "This is bad, don't do this."

Any thoughts?

Folders/links, whatever. I just don't want them on my desktop because I can be a little anal at times. I don't plan to do any synching with the server, I only installed to RD. Thanks wodysweb, I will hid them.

I use it on my WHS and all 3 home computers and my work computer. I use it almost exclusively for the Remote Desktop aspect. (I seem to recall that it uses the remote assistance protocol?). I'm logged into my WHS from work for 9 hours/day to get around the NCF (Nazi Content Filter).