RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Shut-Down Trashed VHD's?

Joe_Miner

I'm running Hyper-V in Win8 RP with 5 Hyper-V clients and was loading S2012e.

Before initializing S2012e I wanted to shut down my Win8 RP host to check something -- I had read about how this could be done remotely instead of going downstairs and hitting the button on the box -- so........

In a Remote Desktop into the Win8 RP host I went to the Command Prompt

typed in:

Shutdown /S

This shut down my host.

The problem arose when I powered the Host back up and when I went to my Hyper-V manager --- ALL of my VM's were "Off-Critical" and when I opend Windows Explorer my VHD drive was empty.

I thought I had everything set-up to shut down my VM's gracefully when the Host shut down and restart all of my VM's when the Host started back up.

What did I do wrong?

I'm running Hyper-V in Win8 RP with 5 Hyper-V clients and was loading S2012e.

Before initializing S2012e I wanted to shut down my Win8 RP host to check something -- I had read about how this could be done remotely instead of going downstairs and hitting the button on the box -- so........

In a Remote Desktop into the Win8 RP host I went to the Command Prompt

typed in:

Shutdown /S

This shut down my host.

The problem arose when I powered the Host back up and when I went to my Hyper-V manager --- ALL of my VM's were "Off-Critical" and when I opend Windows Explorer my VHD drive was empty.

I thought I had everything set-up to shut down my VM's gracefully when the Host shut down and restart all of my VM's when the Host started back up.

What did I do wrong?

Try changing your automatic stop actions configured to shut down the guest?

I had it set to save the state and restart the guest when the host is turned on.

It was a little disturbing to see all my directories on the VHD drive empty -- no VHD's, VM's and my snapshots was empty. Yikes!

I know I screwed up I'm not sure how I screwed up. I'll change my stop action to shut down the guest's and hopefully that will portect me till I figure out more what I'm doing -- maybe I should hold off on the remote shutdown/restart commands too?

Try changing your automatic stop actions configured to shut down the guest?

What are the recommended settings for automatic stop actions of guest OSs?