RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Client Backup Problem

wjburl

I just added a new client to my system. I logged onto Dashboard and The Getting Started had checks beside them except Setup Server Backup. I started that procedure, select my RAID drive and got a message that since it spans several drives it will reformat the drive when I leave the wizard. BTW, I just put Win 8 RP on this system.

Server backups MUST be on a dedicated drive, not the RAID Array you have designated for your data. A removable USB drive will work fine for this.

From what I can tell you are asking, you are wanting to backup the server. Clients have their own backup folder within the "Shares parent folder".

Your post is a bit vague. You talk first about adding a client, then about Set Server Backup. These are 2 different things. You can backup clients to the RAID array, but not the server itself; that requires a dedicated drive, as jmwills said. By default, I believe the Server Backup will try to set up to back up the entire system but I, and I think most people here, only back up the OS drive/partition.

If it's vague, then the line on WHS 2011 is vague. That's why I asked the question. I thought it was indicating that the client hadn't bee setup to backup on the server. Evidently, It meant I hadn't setup to have the sever backed up. If you're not a newb to WHS, I guess it's obvious.

Bill, you will need a dedicated separate drive to backup the server. Since you already have an array for the data, use some other mechanism to back that up or a large enough external drive to backup the OS and the data.

If it's vague, then the line on WHS 2011 is vague. That's why I asked the question. I thought it was indicating that the client hadn't bee setup to backup on the server. Evidently, It meant I hadn't setup to have the sever backed up. If you're not a newb to WHS, I guess it's obvious.

It's covered in the manual :D :D