RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
wjburl

Keeping Server Folder and NAS in sync

wjburl

Before I built my WHS 2011, I already had a lot of videos stored on a NAS. I would like to have another copy of those videos on WHS and keep them in sync. What's the proper way to accomplish that?

jmwills

Bill,

Look for a program called Allway Sync. You can setup either a two way or one way replication.

wjburl

should I install it on the server, client or both?

cskenney

You only need it on one box. You probably can only install it on the server.

pcdoc

You only need to set it up n the server. See my blog for a quick video.

http://thedocsworld.net

awraynor

@pcdoc.

Did you run into any limitations on the amount of files it would sync without buying the Pro version?

wjburl

Hadn't seen limitations yet.

Joe_Miner

The only limitation I saw was a "nag" that had to be clicked when I exceed a set number (don't remember the trip point) of file copies/transfers in a period of time (I believe it was a month). I decided I used it enough it was worth the minimal price to go with Pro and got an additional license because of their heavy discount for extra licenses.

jmwills

Since we are somewhat in the Domain mode headed forward, at least on the Server Side, you guys need to start looking at DFS replication. The process will involve having an additional server on the domain. You setup the primary and receiver (I think that is the term) folders and replication will happen on any schedule you desire.

The nice thing about DFS is you do not need to know server names. You create the DFS root and give it a name and you access the shared folders that way. With the File Services Role installed, you will be able to create quotas, file blocks, etc. For those of you with active teens in the house, that might be helpful.

ikon

DFS is a great concept that I looked into a few years ago. My conclusion was that it was a little unpolished. Great idea, but needed work. Hope that's happened in the interim. The need for 2 servers always ticked me off too. Why not have the files available via some root name regardless of which server they,re on, even if it's only 1 server. That way, you can change the server name if needed.