RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I was a bad boy....

jpap33

So...last month I went over my bandwidth usage two months in a row and comcast cancelled me for a year.

We don't have many internet options around and was curious if anyone wanted to recommend a landline dsl?

I would go with directv...but you need to bundle with the Cable package and I'm not giving up my Tivo HD. And we don't have fios in dc yet...

Any thoughts...

and for those of you downloading torrents...I recommend putting a bandwidth counter on so this doesn't happen to you!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jpap33

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

What is torrents and what is the website? I did a search and torrents.to didn't seem right and bittorrents looks like a commercial product?

Comcast is not my favorite ISP, for reasons exactly like this.

I use, and have used for years, DSL. I get 3 Mbps/768 Kbps +5 email addresses for $29.99/mo as part of a package deal that includes phone. Actual speeds = 2.4 Mbps/650 Kbps. I've never gotten any sheisty treatment from this local ISP, and they have always provided great support. Too bad they're only available in Maine/NH.

I've always wondered if a proxy add-in would be popular. You could watch the bandwidth, see realtime stats on the console, and see what pc in your house is using up all the bandwidth. Possibly, even do some net-nanny type filtering. There are probably a zillion reasons for and against this idea. Just wondering outloud.

I beta tested for Comcast ISP back in 1990 when there was only 8 users on the NJ network. Things where great back then. Now Comcast plays no games with their hard upstream/downstream cap. SO torrents or video cams forget it.
I hope that you are close to a DSL/phone switch so you can get a good DSL.

Dave: If you login to Comcast's website you can see your up and dl usage.

Dave - love the idea of a proxy add-in. would use it for sure!

BTW - we have Cox here in Omaha and I have never had a problem with usage caps. We run 6 PCs, 2 WHSs, 2 XBOXs, 1 Wii and a whole host of Wifi enabled phones without problems.

@ITTOG, torrent = bittorrent = peer to peer = the big sucking sound Comcast and the other ISP's hear when they put their ears next to one of their routers.
From Wikipedia Bittorent (protocol):
BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol used for distributing large amounts of data. BitTorrent is one of the most common protocols for transferring large files, and it has been estimated that it accounts for approximately 27-55% of all Internet traffic (depending on geographical location) as of February 2009.

uTorrent is a pretty handy client (there's even a WHS Add-in for it) and has a built-in bandwith limiter but no way to cut things off when you get close to your limit. I guess you could check the statistics (under the help menu) but that could get old after checking a few times.

@jpap33, FiOS is awesome if you can get it. Maybe you can request Google install their gigabit fiber broadband in the DC area. :)

@ITTOG: You've never heard of bittorrent? Are you pulling my leg?

@jpap33: I've never heard of an ISP banning people for going over the limit. Billing the pants off you would make more business sense, as the get compensation, deter future infractions and keep you as a customer. By banning you they get nothing, AND lose your custom for 12 months which is crazy. They need to fire whoever created that policy.

Sorry, nothing to add on topic, I have zero exposure to ISPs in the US :)