RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server Client Backup Replacement

Glavian

With all the discussion of the loss of Windows Home Server 2011, and the possibility of either moving to Windows Server 2012 Essentials or some other platform, are there any good alternatives out there for the Windows Server Client Backup software. For me, this is one of the main reasons I have used Windows Home Server v1 and 2011, otherwise I would have just set up a Windows 7 PC to store all the data. So that being said, and considering that a lot of people aren't going to want to shell out $425 for Windows Server 2012 Essentials, what alternatives are there? I know of Acronis and Ghost but from what I've seen their home products are pretty clumsy to use when compared to the Windows Server Client Backup Software.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• jeffla

• ikon

• bahmanj

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in this as well. He's refering to Client backups.

My parents lx195 can't hold out forever and 425.00 is not something they or I would ever consider paying. Also the lx195 just wouldn't run 2011 well so replacement is the best option. So anyone have any good suggestions for automatic, image based backups? I don't require them to be daily, but weekly would be nice.

Edited by jeffla

I hear endlessly from dvn (rich o'neil) that Acronis is a solid client back up tool. Newegg had a $14.99 special last weekend and Rich bullied me into buying it. Going to give it a serious look in the next couple weeks and see if it lives up to expectations.

Check out EaseUS Todo Backup. I currently use it to backup all of my workstations to a share on my homeserver. They also have a central management console addin where you could manage the backups if you want that much.

Or another option is to move all of the data to the server. At that point you only need to be concerned with a backup of the server data. The alternative is to use the built-in backup features of the Windows client to backup to a designated share on the server.

I just prefer to use a solution that backs up files in a "flat file" format. When I see the backed up file, I should be able to easily open it with its native application.

Or another option is to move all of the data to the server. At that point you only need to be concerned with a backup of the server data. The alternative is to use the built-in backup features of the Windows client to backup to a designated share on the server.

I just prefer to use a solution that backs up files in a "flat file" format. When I see the backed up file, I should be able to easily open it with its native application.

I never knew W7 had image based backups built in. But after opening the Backup and Restore wizard I see that option. Do you know if all versions of W7 offer this?

Edited by jeffla

Jim beat me to the punch. I am using Acronis to backup my main PC. And it is one of the more useful tools in my PC maintenance and repair toolkit. WHS 2011 still backs up my PCs as well, but I can see me turning that off at some point.

And though it's been said before, I'll say it again: v1 and 2011 still provide the functionality that they have from the beginning. I am running 2011 at my house, and my daughter is using v1 at hers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Free is always a good deal. Downloading now.

The reason I'm looking into making a move is I know my parents HS is not long for this world. I planned on buying or building them a WHS 2012 server when that came out. The plan was to replace their lx195 within a year, that way we replace it before it failes on its own. I would rather have the control over when/how we upgrade. I guess we stil could do that with WHS 2011 but that seems like a waste of time seeing as it's a dead product. And I question MS's support. If WHS will not longer be affordable now that it's WSE 2012 I might as well begin the migration away from WHS all together.

I of course will still wait and see what WS (oem version, can't rember the name) 2012 brings. Maybe it will fill our needs. But in the mean time I am looking at my options.