RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jcollison

New Gaming Rig for Jim's place

jcollison

So my 15 year old has worked all summer and is putting his very first gaming rig together with his hard earned cash. I told him I would run it by the BYOB guys for their suggestions. Here are the major parts list. Taking suggestions.

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED, 1x 140mm rear, 1x 230mm top, and 1x 230mm side

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-2GD GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor W/Speakers

SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Remember, I am a home server guy and not a gamer and this is his first build. Any and all suggestions are welcome. We will post the final parts list and pictures of the build here as we build it over the next month.

Thanks for your help.

ikon

Get him a Vic 20 - it was good enough for us..... :D :D

Seriously, I don't know if that Asus is, but I would recommend an IPS class monitor.

pcdoc

My two cents. Use an Ivy bridge 3770K since you are getting a Z77 board for just a few bucks more. Consider the H80, much easier to mount and still twice as much as needed for a 37xx. Lastly, stay away from Crucial, I now have 3 that crapped on me. Go for the intel instead.

jcollison

Get him a Vic 20 - it was good enough for us..... :D :D

Seriously, I don't know if that Asus is, but I would recommend an IPS class monitor.

Got any suggestions ikon with links?

My two cents. Use an Ivy bridge 3770K since you are getting a Z77 board for just a few bucks more. Consider the H80, much easier to mount and still twice as much as needed for a 37xx. Lastly, stay away from Crucial, I now have 3 that crapped on me. Go for the intel instead.

Mike, can you give me an example of a board like this? Link would be helpful.

I am also thinking of a 120GB Mushkin Drive for the SSD. I have 2 and installed another with very little problems. Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MX MKNSSDCR120GB-MX 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ikon

The Dell UltraSharps are very good IMHO. Just go to the monitors section of their site.

pcdoc

Mike, can you give me an example of a board like this? Link would be helpful.

I am also thinking of a 120GB Mushkin Drive for the SSD. I have 2 and installed another with very little problems. Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MX MKNSSDCR120GB-MX 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Keep the same board you selected, just change the processor to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

Muskin would perform much better than the Crucial. The M4 has very slow writes, especially the 64G.

jcollison

Doc...I see. Sorry about that.

Joe_Miner

Jim:

The performance of the Crucial M4 64GB for a game machine is dismal IMHO. For a couple of $’s more you could go with a Corsair Force 3 60GB and then with your Intel Rapid Storage Technology on the Z77 you could Cache your main Hard Drive like I was doing Here and Here

Here’s the performance of my 2TB WD2000FAEX with caching from the Corsair using ISRT:

clip_image008.jpg

You may also want to switch out the WD1000FAEX in your specs for a Seagate ST1000DM003 (please note I’m really a WD fan boy!). The ST1000DM003 has the Seagate OptiCache technology that in their 3 TB drives is really simply amazing and blows away the WD Blacks. Disclaimer: I’ve tested the 3TB’s but not the 1TB’s though they claim the same proprietary caching technology.

The naked ST3000DM001’s performance is:

clip_image019.jpg

The HAF 932 is a great tower case that I have my X58 desktop in. It’s steel, it’s heavy, it’s rugged, it looks awesome – perfect for a teenager. :D

I agree with PCDoc about the CPU – with a Z77 gaming rig that you’re going to want to overclock I think the only logical choices were the i5-3570K or the i7-3770K – I’d say the 3570K if you didn’t expect to ever need/want hyper threading and the 3770K otherwise or to just keep more future options open. Disclaimer: I’m not a gamer so a serious gamer may see a greater distinction between the two CPU’s. It may be better to go with the 3570K and spend the savings on more GPU’s or another monitor.

pcdoc

One last comment, the system about does need anywhere near a 1000w supply. You could save a chunk of money going with a 700-800w supply if all you are running is one GPU. I ran the GTX 580 off of a 600 watt supply and it draws more power than the 680 you are planning. If budget is a concern, also consider the 670 over the 680. Running a 23" 1080P monitor is insulting for either of these cards as it does not even come close to taxing it. Either of these can easily power 2-3 of these monitors and still not work up a sweat. The difference in performance does not justify the difference in price IMO.

Greg Welch

As for the Graphics, just a thought

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125371

900 instead of 1072 Mhz core clock

pcie 2.0 but you wouldnt be maxing it out anyway

$140 less