RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Core i7 versus Xeon to run Adobe CS6

PINKTULIP

Hi

I am in the process of putting a build list together for a new video editing machine and I am debating whether to go with a Corei7 3770K 3.5GHz which I can get in the UK for £260 (approx $400 USD) or should I with a Xeon.

I would be happy to go upto approx $600USD for a Xeon, and would love some suggestions.

Do you think I would see much of a performance increase with a Xeon in that price range, or would i be better throwing more money at a discreet GPU?

Regards

Pete

You hit my thought right on the head: As I was reading I was thinking, "spend the money on the GPU" and then I read it :)

Some of this will be based on what your editing software will support however in my testing, GPU rendering made a greater impact than just CPU. I also got faster transcoding from the built in quick-sync than I did with a discreet card. That of course will vary based on GPU support in your software and how well it is tuned. The nVidia was also faster than any of the AMD offerings. Just my 2 cents.

I went with the i7 and a very good nVidia card. I haven't looked back since. I know you mention CS6 but if it doesn't incorporate cuda find another application.

Thanks Guys, I was hoping you would say that.

i7 it is then with a GTX580 card and 32G of Ram.....smokin!

Oh BTW ITTOG i checked an CS6 does support Cuda it does everything that CS5.5 did with Cuda but it also adds the 'push transition'

Thanks again

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

OK i got the above machine built this morning, but when i boot up, the machine starts up for approx 30 seconds and then stops.

I have tried removing 3 of the ram stick and booting with just one in but that made no difference.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

OK, silly question. I've seen this a couple of times before. Both times it was because the builder simply forgot to put thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink. Any chance you did that?

Nope put a nice very thin layer of paste, although on the mobo, the Phase LEDs are all lighting up, 2 green 1 amber and 1 red and then it shuts down after approx 30 seconds, waits about 10 and tries to boot again in a cycle.

Cool. Just thought I'd ask, to be certain. I'm not sure what the Phase LEDs are, but have you looked at a legend to see what that pattern means?