RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012 on HP EX495 MediaSmart Server

JazJon

I can tell you this does work. I have done it and running WS2012E on my HP MSS now. Runs great too. I used the method of installing to another machine and at first boot stopping and putting the drive back into the HP MSS.

I can tell you this does work. I have done it and running WS2012E on my HP MSS now. Runs great too. I used the method of installing to another machine and at first boot stopping and putting the drive back into the HP MSS.

Thanks very much for confirming Jerry. What URL did you browse to in order to complete the install? Or did you not have to?

Because the autounattend.xml was not going to be used in this fashion, I created a cfg.ini (for uses within windows), placed on the root of the install media, that contained all the parameters, serial key, initial admin and user passwords, also the creation of the domain and computer name. So, after quite a few minutes went by and I saw the server name appear in my network, I was then able to remote to the server (RDP) and watch the installation complete. I am at work now but I would be happy to share my cfg.ini file with anyone who wants to do the same.

Edited by JerryW

I think it would be great to just post it here or, even better maybe, in a new thread of its own. I might even be able to use it on my Acer H340. I'm sure it can't be that long a file; maybe just post the text inline?

Sorry mine is a

HP MediaSmart Server EX490 . I think it has Intel Celeron.

I would like to upgrade the CPU and OS to windows server 2012.

I dont have a video card.

Jerry, Can you please post some links.

It's a tiny file. I could paste the text inline and will as soon as I get home. Normally I can access these files but this one time, I put it on the media and didn't leave a copy on the server. I used this as my template for building the cfg.ini file:

http://technet.micro...ibrary/jj200150

I had created a USB stick with the install on it and placed the cfg.ini file there. On another machine, with the USB stick and hard drive installed, I got through to the first restart. I then placed the USB drive into the FRONT usb port on my HP MSS, along with the hard drive. It then completed the install.

So, why did I choose the front USB and not the rear? Well, unattended installs would need the rear usb ports because you cannot boot from the front USB ports on the HP MSS but since I was not booting from USB, it did not matter.

Edited by JerryW

Put this in your cfg.ini file on your USB bootable media or add to DVD (root). This is only for use if you decide to start the install on a different computer. Once you have started the install, wait until the first restart. Then disconnect drive and USB/DVD from computer and plug everything into your HP MSS.

[initialConfiguration]

;Optional, display language can only be one of the installed language

Language=en-us

;Optional

Locale=en-us

;Optional

Country=US

;Optional

Keyboard=0409:00000409

AcceptEula=true

;This is only required on a server where an OEM EULA has been specified

;by using the OOBE.xml file

AcceptOEMEula=true

;Optional. Example: My Company Name

CompanyName=COMPANY NAME

ServerName=SERVER NAME

; Example: CONTOSO

NetbiosName=SERVER NAME

; Example: contoso.local

DNSName=SERVER NAME.local

; Used to set the user name for the domain admin

UserName=ADMIN USERNAME

;The password has to be strong and at least 8 characters

PlainTextPassword=ADMIN PASSWORD

;. Used to set the user name for the domain standard user account. Ignored in migration mode.

StdUserName=USERNAME

;. The password for the domain standard user account has to be strong and at least 8 characters

StdUserPlainTextPassword=USER PASSWORD

;Controls the Watson and automatic update settings

Settings=All

Edited by JerryW

• 1 year later...

Jerry,

I have tried the method you describe and seem to be having trouble with 2012 Essentials and 2012 Essentials R2. I am successfully able to complete the initial install on a different PC. The moment I move the drive to my EX495 and boot, the blue status light blinks, but nothing happens. On close inspection, I do not hear any activity from the drive either. Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

I have tried both plain Essentials and R2 installs. I have tried different hard drives as well. But nothing seems to work. I moved the drive back to the PC I set it up on, and it successfully went through the initial setup phases and went right into windows.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!