RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restoring server backup to new UEFI hardware

I recently rebuild my WHS 2011 server on new Intel Ivy Bridge hardware.

I attempted a bare metal restore of my former Intel server onto the new machine w/ new Intel CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

During the WHS 2011 server OS restore process, the backup set was located. However when I attempted to restore, it returned a dialog box error indicating that I was unable to restore a non-UEFI backup to UEFI hardware?

I was curious whether this is any workaround for this that anyone has found. I am trying to restore an Intel to Intel system. As opposed to an AMD to Intel hardware which I wouldn't ever attempt to do (would do a fresh OS install instead).

Thanks again.

jmwills

Would not have thought that would be that big of an issue, however, it appears to be true with the WHS options. Something like Acronis or a fresh install may be your only option.

Why would it care? Honestly, is there something that unusual about the backup that it matters?

Didn't expect it to matter but it certainly does. Ultimately I installed WHS 2011 as a hyper-v VM under WS2008R2 but have kept that server backup in the event there was a way to overcome this. If anything this is a caution to others considering the same bare metal restore. Avoid it.

jmwills idea of using Acronis to clone the drive sounds interesting. And Newegg.com has a sale on True Image Home 2012 right now @ $15, if it hasn't already expired.

Make sure the bios boot you selected for the usb key or cd was the non uefi option, it might help. I know when installing whs2011 on uefi hardware depending on which boot option you select (usb-uefi / usb) it will either use gpt or mbr on the install drive. It might somehow effect restore as well as I've not tried it on my msi z68.

Good suggestion. Oddly enough I cannot find such an option in my Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H BIOS menu -- to boot from a UEFI USB Key or non-UEFI USB Key. I did look for that originally but despite it being a very new motherboard, this option wasn't apparent.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Since UEFI is very different I am surprised you guys don't think it would matter. Since it is version 2, just reinstall. It isn't like you lose data. I would venture you would have been done installing and setting it up like you wanted by now if you would have just started down that path to begin with. Good luck.

WHS does not support UEFI at all. We had discussed this in the very early podcasts when UEFI first came out. New versions of Acronis with power pack will support it, however it is best practice not to use EFI on a boot disk if you want bare metal restore.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Doesn't support it on the server install either? I thought it just wouldn't restore a client?