RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Proliant Microserver N40L speed and other problems

hyperion

Hello!

I am new here and new in building NAS server. I read about it and found that Freenas is a good solution as a software.

I got my HP N40L, I installed 2 drives (Samsung 1T and WD Blue 1T) from my desktop computer, which are NTFS drives with content on them. I installed 1x4GB Kingmax memory into the HP box instead of the 1x2GB (ESXi needed at least 2GB, the video memory took away 128MB, so it wasn't enough, although after installing and playing around with ESXi, I deleted it and installed freenas on a USB drive :]] )

The transfer speeds are dismal, I think: I imported the drives as NTFS drives, enabled CIFS, enabled FTP.

Via CIFS sharing copying files to the NAS is impossible: ~500-800 kbyte/s, copying from the NAS is about 7-8MB/s, which is still not good.

Anybody has any idea why I can not copy anything onto the NAS drives with normal speed?

Sending files via FTP it is still the same: onto the NAS it is around 7-8MB/s, too slow, I think :(

What am I doing wrong? What is the average speed that can be reached with this config? I thought it would be at least 25-30MB/s.... but 7 is awfully slow :(

I am thinking about returning this machine to the shop and get my money back, because with this performance it isn't worth it's price to me.

On the top of these it is quite noise too (to me), it is in my bedroom. Is there any other PSU, that can be placed into this machine and makes less noise?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Edited by hyperion

This sounds like a configuration issue. I push files form the WHS over to a Server 2008 box (N40L) with no issues.

I have absolutely Zero experience/knowledge of FreeNAS so I can't help there. I agree with JMWills that it sounds like a configuration Issue of either your server, your software, or your network.

I did a speed test from my MicroServer to my EX-487 that I posted here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3656-network-performance-microserver-to-ex-487/

In this write-up I tested all my Hard Drives in the MicroServer http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-n40l-build-and-bios-modification.html

Thanks for the quick replies, I am still trying to speed up my config.

What about the PSU in this little machine? Is there any alternative, less noisy one available out there?

And I am going to run two OS on it: Freenas (or other OS which I can set up to do the NAS "things" - ftp, cifs, afp -) and a WinXP for a regular, little load machine.

I want to split the 4G ram: 3G for the NAS, 1G for the XP.

Which is the best virtualization SW to do this with?

I tried ESXi and it worked fine, but I couldn't "add" the HDDs into the virtual machine. I mean I put the ESXi on a 160G Samsung 2.5" drive, which is plugged onto the single SATA port (dedicated to the ODD), I created two VMs in ESXi client: 120G for the XP machine and 10G for the Freenas.

But after I tried to configure the Freenas, the other 2x1TB physical drives were not in the virtual machine and I have no idea how to add them.

Any ideas?

Edited by hyperion

Have you tried connecting your server directly to a client computer, so there are no other pieces of gear in the way?

Have you tried installing WHS2011 as the OS and seeing how the LAN speeds are that way?

Just a general comment: since you say you have no experience with NAS, perhaps starting off with FreeNAS is a bit too ambitious. Something like WHS2011 would let you get experience with a friendlier OS before tackling something more complex like FreeNAS. I haven't looked at Linux-based NAS software in a number of years, but I do recall that it wasn't for the timid.

-snip-

What about the PSU in this little machine? Is there any alternative, less noisy one available out there?

-snip-

I haven’t found the need to replace my PSU so I haven’t spent much time looking but HP has a video in their “self-repair” series on how to replace the PSU so obviously there are replacement PSU’s from HP and elsewhere. (BTW, HP also has check lists you can print out and follow along as you do your repairs/replacements.)

The trick is finding out which PSU’s are a direct replacement and which one’s are the right form factor but you could make them work by rewiring the MB connector.

Go to the thread in the Forum of Useful MicroServer Links – the Self-Repair Series is there as is HP’s MicroServer Product page. Check out some of the other HP MicroServer User Groups and while the last time I looked the Wiki didn’t list any non-HP PSU’s you should check again to see if there have been any updates or additions.

When you go to the HP Product page there will likely be an annoying popup asking if you want to have a live chat with an HP person – ask them about PSU’s – their PSU’s are only suppose to be 22db so if your PSU is running louder than that HP may send you a replacement.

If you find a PSU that’s the right Form Factor write/email the manufacture and ask about the MicroServer

At the Useful Links page there’s a tear down video done by Dieharder and I think he talks about the PSU in that Video – Dieharder and JCollison have each done several video’s on the MicroServer and I know they talked about the PSU in one or more of them. Look around the time frame of HSS 167.

There was another person who asked in an earlier thread but he never came back to tell us what he found.

Whatever you learn please come back and post your findings. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are llimited at around 7-8MB/s, it sounds like your router or client machines are only 100mbs and not 1,000gps(gigabit) like the server.

I get around 100MB/s on large files with whs 2011. rarely below 50MB/s with lots of small files. probably average 75MB/s.

-=Mark=-