RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server in Unfinished Basement

GavinCampbell

Hi Guys,

I recently moved my home server and switch down to my unfinished basement where the noise won't bother me as much but also where it is much cooler.

However I notice that no matter how much I clean it up there is still a lot of dust. Is there any cases or tips I should keep in mind to handle this type of environment?

How many fans are we talking about? It's a basement where you normally would want a good airflow so unless you can place the server inside a closet in the basement, you might have to live with this.

Just one fan in the case. And its an open basement (no closet). I just have it sitting on a table in the corner. I did keep it off the ground as I read this reduces the dust build up.

I guess I will just have to check and clean it every month or two to ensure there is not a lot of dust sucked inside.

I keep my servers in our unfinished basement without any problem.

The basement floor has been sealed and the basement walls have also been sealed/waterproofed. As long as I keep them well off the floor I see no dust build-up.

My EX-487 has been down there for years and my MicroServer has been down there over 6 months there's no dust in them at all. I have both sitting about 3+ feet off the floor.

I also have a dehumidifier that keeps the basement humidity below 45-50%.

I believe that sealing the concrete floor and walls had the biggest impact. Next biggest impact is the HVAC system air intake is near the floor and the High Efficency filter on the system.

Edited by Joe_Miner

If you have rafters/floorboards above the basement for the rooms upstairs you will always have dust settling from the carpet upstairs.

You could build a simple frame overhang for where the server is or drape an old sheet over the top of it. You'll still get plenty of airflow since the dust is settling from above.

Do you guys notice that cases with intake fans and filters reduce dust inside the case? Just a question to throw out there.

If you have rafters/floorboards above the basement for the rooms upstairs you will always have dust settling from the carpet upstairs.

You could build a simple frame overhang for where the server is or drape an old sheet over the top of it. You'll still get plenty of airflow since the dust is settling from above.

My basement ceiling is unfinished but I'm apparently not getting much dust from the carpeting above.

Do you guys notice that cases with intake fans and filters reduce dust inside the case? Just a question to throw out there.

That works too!

Good idea. I wonder if there are any filters I can add to my case to help. Need to look into this.

As others have mentioned. keeping the server off the floor is key. Joe_Miner is also correct: un-finished concrete naturally sheds dust - painting or sealing it will help a lot. Also, keep the server away from the walls a bit if possible; again to avoid dust. I would also keep it away from the stairs and any other traffic areas. On the plus side, basements tend to be more temperature-stable.

The solution is probably multi-tiered. In addition to what has been suggested, look for cases with actual filters not just screens. An example would be Lian Li A70 which uses foam filters to keep things clean (there are others out there). In addition, make sure you have a slight positive pressure in the case as this helps route all the air through the filters and avoids sucking dirt in from all the sides, around the drives, and openings. It is not 100% but it makes a big difference. Many people put a couple of exhaust fans on their case without regard to intake so they actually create a vacuum inside the case and suck in every air born particle that travels by from every opening. A positive pressure actually help keep dust out. For things like power supplies, make sure that again you have filters or that you add a filter to prevent dust from clogging your power supply and causing other problems.