RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JermLloyd

New WD Red NAS drives

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Are these lame 5200 rpm drives? I can't find anything on the speed. If they are 7200 or more then they may interest me.

vinylfreak

It would appear , these WD Red drives have already become quite popular.

3 TB version already Sold Out at NewEgg!

red.jpg

ikon

Anyone else notice that the 1TB version doesn't have the typical WD black dots on the cover? What's up with that?

Mr_Smartepants

Anyone else notice that the 1TB version doesn't have the typical WD black dots on the cover? What's up with that?

How much do you want to bet that they used the 1TB design from their Hitachi GST acquisition?

ikon

How much do you want to bet that they used the 1TB design from their Hitachi GST acquisition?

Wouldn't be surprised.

JermLloyd

I also noticed that the 1tb is rated a tad faster than the other two, I guess it has something to do with this being WD's first 1tb/platter drive.

fredp1

There has been a mixed results with a few drives DOA and some catching on fire!

Have a look at the feedback here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236342

Pros: Pretty good price, nice advertising. Exciting new product.

Cons: Set my computer on fire. Read on for details...

Other Thoughts: I ordered two of these, plugged them in, and powered up. Immediately heard a soft popping noise, followed by smoke bellowing out of my case. I freaked out and pulled the power, and noticed there was still a light inside my case..... took a closer look, and yup, my brand new HDD had just ignited the plastic of the HDD bay on fire. I quickly blew that out, and pulled the drive out. A portion of the plastic got melted onto the HDD's logic board, but there appeared to be no damage on the second drive. Booted up again (with my hand on the power just in case), and the second drive didn't show up in the BIOS. Pull that one out to take a closer look, and sure enough in the exact same spot on the logic board there was a burned up component (just no melted plastic). I'm RMA-ing the drives, and hopefully I got just 2 bad ones out of the bunch. And if you're wondering, I was using the same power rail that also goes to my OS drive, so I'm doubting my PSU caused the trouble.

Looks like they are Red for a good reason :wacko:

ikon

I loved this part of WD's response:

Manufacturer Response:

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the Western Digital Red WD10EFRX internal drive, as this is not the intended experience with the product.

I added the emphasis.

Really WD, you don't actually intend for your drives to catch fire? Wow, that's mighty big of you :D

Personally, I suspect they got a bad batch of some component, quite possibly capacitors, and this is what 'blew up'.

Dave

Just posted a 2TB Seagate for $99. It's in the deals thread. Not to hijack or anything. Just an alternative.

fredp1

I loved this part of WD's response:

I added the emphasis.

Really WD, you don't actually intend for your drives to catch fire? Wow, that's mighty big of you :D

Personally, I suspect they got a bad batch of some component, quite possibly capacitors, and this is what 'blew up'.

I really concerns me to hear about equipment go up in smoke. You have to wonder how much testing is performed on the unit before it leaves the factory.