RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing WHS 2011 on 16gb Flash - bios flashing help

FockGhost

Hello all,

I have been trolling these forums for a few weeks slowly setting up my new HP microserver. after installing the os on the 250gb hard drive supplied with the server. i found a post where the OS was running off of a flash drive from the USB port located inside the Server. i then went and bought a 16gb flash drive (some generic brand) and tried to reinstall the OS on the the Flash. before the OS is about to install i get "missing drivers error" is there a specific brand of flash drive i should be using? also is there a recommended size for the OS to run off of?

also is there a more step-by-step guide to flashing the Bios diehard's dont seem to be working.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciaded

sorry if this is duplicate post.

I do not know of anyone who is running WHS from a thumb drive. You would need to get at least a 60GB model and that is more expensive than the same SSD drive.

I followed the BIOS guide that Diehard posted and it worked fine. What part is not working....the sequence is critical.

Guess i misread the post i was reading, just checked it and it was installing from a Flash drive. :( guess ill have to rethink things. As for flashing the bios should i post on the "Modified BIOS for Microserver N40L enables hidden features" thread?

That would be better for continuity. You also need to state exactly what the issue is...not just that "it doesn't work" How far did you get, etc.

just checked it and it was installing from a Flash drive.

That makes a lot more sense. You wouldn't want to run from a Flash Drive. I suspect you would kill the drive pretty quickly; the OS does a lot of writing and Flash Drives have limited write capability.