RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive Setups

Guest Wizzy

Guest Wizzy

Hello,

I have built small NAS with Motherboard X7SPE-HF-D525 one SSD drive 60GB for OS only and two WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX (1TB, 64MB, SATA/600).

I want to have one of 1T drive used for my backup and second one used as mirror of the first one, is that possible?

One I have mirrored the 1T drives the WHS 2011 keeps saying that there are no storage devices that can be used for back up: http://screenshooter...1999852/lysqwdj even if the drive is still visible here: http://screenshooter...1999852/qtvtuwh Does the dynamic drive are the issue?

http://screenshooter...1999852/whewxhw

How can I solve it so? It would be silly to do not have possibility to mirror main backup drive. Also, very strangem but backing up 80 mb of data from client computer takes already 4h and it is only 43%.. comps arein same LAN.. beside each other.. on GB switch port.

Appreciate any assistance.

Regards,

--

David A. Meatwek

Edited by Wizzy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• ikon

Change the Drive Letter to something other than B. A & B are usually reserved for Floppy drives.

Guest Wizzy

Are they still in use? ^.^ I thought this times it has no difference already. However, chaned. It did not solve my issue.

Edited by Wizzy

The install went correctly. You need to add a third drive or break the mirror in order to get the drive back. WHS thinks that 1TB mirror is being used for Data. Move your Client BAckups and Server Folders to that mirror.

In order to backup the server, you will need to add a third drive.

Guest Wizzy

I am wondering I have problem to understand, maybe to my English limitions.

How it would work and how to setup mirroring having 3 drives?

option 2.. if I'll break the mirror then I am going to have two separated drived for data.. while I do not need 2.. isn't that possible to have one of the 1T drive for data and the other as mirror of it?

No mirror with three drives...that is RAID 5. When you say backup, are you referring to client backups or server backups?

You have a couple of issues. First if you want to have one reserved for the backup it cannot be mirrored. The mirror will reserve the drive. You have two choices, break the mirror and dedicate one for data and one for backup or my suggestion is leave the mirror and add a third drive to be dedicated for backup.

Guest Wizzy

Seemsit it is not going to work as I thought it will..

As I wanted to use the WHS'11 NAS to do backup of data I have on all of my client computers and just mirror the data backup drive on WHS Server to another drive being on server as well. Sounds logical, however looks like impossible to be done.

P.S. If I would leave the mirror of two drives and dedicate 3rd one for backup I would have 2 not used drives then.. as all what I am going to get is have a mirrored security copy of all my data in matter of one hdd's fault. Ofcourse I am all the time sayong about 2x1T drives apart the OS drive.

Forgiveme my misunderstanding :P

It takes 2 drives to create a mirror, so if you want to create a duplicate of the mirror, you will need to create a second mirror. In other words, a total of four drives not including the OS drive.

WHS is not a NAS.

Guest Wizzy

Hmm, I now believe we do not understand each other. Or I do not understand you.

1. I have one SSD for OS and I do not want to do anything with it.

2. I have 2x 1T drives

3. I have created simple volume of one of 1T Drive for back up data of client computers.

4. How to set up mirror for drive from point 3. using second 1T drive

4 drives to receive such result? :|

Edited by Wizzy