RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Quickbooks and Quicken on WHS

Dave

Has anyone tried The Office Maven's new Add-Ins? In particular the Quickbooks or Quicken Add-Ins.
Just curious as to how they are running. I use QB Multi-Use edition and was thinking about putting it on my WHS like this so I could get to it easier from the road. I would want to access it from my Workstation as well via the full application.

His website looks cool too!

I use it Dave.

The big advantage is access over the internet. Originally I had Quicken installed on my PC but had the database on WHS in my Users folder so the data is secured to my login name. While testing the addin, I moved the Quicken application to the server. With the addin you access it through your browser which allows you to resize the screen and you also install a PC client connector to access files.

I do have the addin Program Launcher that allows me to run Quicken from the server bypassing the need for the addin, but this way I do not have web access and the quicken windows can only be as big as the Console window. Although I can access Quicken from any Console on the network.

Diehard, so what is the advantage of the Quicken add-in versus just running Quicken on your desktop and then remoting into it. I can't think of an advantage of having it on the server.

cskenney,
good one dude. :-)

ITTOG,

about $25 bucks.
If it's on the server,usually the server is always on, your PC might not be. If you remote into your PC, I believe that disconnects the current user if they are on the PC.

Both your comments are correct and are worth reconsideration. I may have to get this after all. What is the performance like on the server. Via RD into my client, the Quicken experience was not that great.