RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

It's Official, no more Home Server.

tojoski

Here's the doc from Microsoft: http://download.micr...entials_FAQ.pdf

and the info specific to WHS:

Q: Will there be a next version of Windows Home Server?

A: No. Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and

among the technology enthusiast community. For this reason, Microsoft is combining the features that were

previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media

streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012

Not the end of the world since most of the features (and some additional new ones) remain in Windows Server 2012 Essentials. One big bummer is the fact that the price of entry just went way up! Definitively a snub to this community and the Average Guy!

Not the end of the world since most of the features (and some additional new ones) remain in Windows Server 2012 Essentials. One big bummer is the fact that the price of entry just went way up! Definitively a snub to this community and the Average Guy!

I guess MS figured out WHS 2011 was eating into sales of SBS2011e or S2008R2-Foundation too much. How many times have we read about someone taking some entry level business HW like a MicroServer or other entry level server and putting WHS2011 on it for a small business. It'll be interesting to see the street pricing of S2012e and maybe some creative things that could be done to Win8. I'm thinking there might be some fairly creative things that could be done to a Win8 machine to make a "Home" server out of it.

I guess MS figured out WHS 2011 was eating into sales of SBS2011e or S2008R2-Foundation too much. How many times have we read about someone taking some entry level business HW like a MicroServer or other entry level server and putting WHS2011 on it for a small business. It'll be interesting to see the street pricing of S2012e and maybe some creative things that could be done to Win8. I'm thinking there might be some fairly creative things that could be done to a Win8 machine to make a "Home" server out of it.

Good thought but my money is that it was too costly to support for such a low price (even when first released). Think about it, it has had a ton of bugs and other issues; so much so they came out and said several of the issues will never be resolved.

It was probably a bit of both and a few other issues though.

I wonder if the next few podcasts will be about Windows Phones? Maybe there's something else on the essential horizon.....................

We should have all know that MS was going to kill WHS since the release of 2011. No new hardware to speak of, nothing at Best Buy or Frys. Deep discounts on the software. There have been signs of the demise for a long time. But as said by JIm Collision, our current version will keep on working and be support for a while now. I have a pretty good setup now and have been relying less and less on WHS for a while, so this is a non-event for me.

Well it's too bad they dropped the product but not at all surprising. Wonder what I will replace my 2011 machine with in the future or my parents V1. Hmm. I'll figure it out then I guess. I don't own a technet subscritption so buying WS 2012 Essentials will not be an option. I'm gonna miss the auto backups. I'm gonna miss WHS, and this community.

Edited by jeffla