RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Building a Windows 8 Home Server

timekills

How about Home Server Show?

I mean, nothing there means WINDOWS home server, or "Windows Home Server." It is servers for the home, right?

Of course, to continue the fun, I'd suggest Home Server Essentials.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• jmwills

• Joe_Miner

• Puulima

jmwills

But that would mean we are essentially talking home servers and nothing else, right? :lol:

How about the "Home Server, Server 2012, SBS, and Home Storage Show". It will be easy to search for... :D

jmwills

I see documentation of from 8-12 so at that point I think you will be able to go all the way to 32 as the limit.

It certainly seems that MS has abandoned any thoughts about the home market. There's no way a $425 product is going to sell to average consumers.

Does anyone think Foundation could fulfill the role of WHS? I notice there's no pricing for it. It's almost as if MS is challenging the OEMs to produce a product, based on Foundation, for the home market and is going to let the chips fall where they mayl

This could be a hedge bet by MS against the future. A number of times in the past MS has come up with a great product idea but was just too far ahead of the curve and failed to gain market share for them. They might be hoping that the way they're marketing Server2012 will leave open the possibility that the home market may pick up in the future. In the meantime, it basically costs them nothing to keep the SKU in place.

This may be where the "drobo's" of the world can get an opportunity to implement a bare metal restore.

Mr_Smartepants

Acronis and Drobo need to get together to make a plugin that allows Acronis True Image to "see" a networked Drobo to push/pull a backup image automagically.

Drobo already has something similar for Acronis Backup (for businesses). http://www.drobo.com...ess/acronis.php

$$$ ;)

Edited by Mr_Smartepants
  • 6 months later...

So I've been following that chain of articles as well and am really leaning towards making that jump. I am especially intrigued with having a Windows 8 home server in order to utilize its Storage Spaces and File History and then running Windows Home Server 2011 VM inside it for remote media playback, etc. Has anyone else actually tried this setup? Did it work?

I also have a practical question. I've had a WHS 2011 for the past 1 1/2 years with the following setup:

- AMD Phenom II X2

- 4GB RAM

- 64GB OS SSD drive

- 1TB Data drive

- 2TB Backup drive

A recent brown out ruined my install (at least that's what I think happened) and WHS 2011's native install repair process couldn't find a working OS image. This may be because of the whole 160 GB OS drive requirement. So now I'm kinda starting again from scratch and am rethinking the most optimal setup. I just sold the CPU and RAM on eBay and ordered a Phenom II X4. Planning on getting 8GB RAM as well. But if I'm really going to follow Terry Walsh's advice, will the 64GB SSD be sufficient for Windows 8? It'll be always on, so I'm not terribly worried about the Hibernation file. I guess I'll be installing WHS 2011 VM on the 1 TB data disk.

What do you all think? I kinda feel like I'm groping in the dark and would rather talk it through than go down some routes that end in dead ends. Maybe my experience will help others as well!

Thanks. By the way, love the show!