• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• jmwills

• Puulima

• Joe_Miner

Yup, I've been saying for some time that I think a WHS successor based on Windows 8 is much more likely than Microsoft specially crafting a WHS 201X based on Windows Server 2012.

We just need a Windows 8 App that will cover the single instance Client PC Backup feature in WHS 2011, and we'll be all set...

G. WadeTech

I am following the WeGotServed Windows 8 as a Home Server series as well. I have been thinking about which way I would go when I move to Windows 8 this fall and it looks like MS decided for me today that I will either be making my Windows 8 machine do all of the things that I am currently relying on my WHS to do or install Windows Server Essentials 2012 and go from there.

Well, I can't say I'm surprised at the news that Microsoft is dropping further development of WHS. But for them to suggest that the successor is Windows Server Essentials 2012 with its sticker price of $425 is a slap in the face with a wet fish.

jcollison

I'm not sure the WHS 2011 product sold well at $50...so $425 is really playing towards the small business market. We used to make fun of Microsoft with their 25 Server SKUs, now it comes back to bite us. Bummer

jmwills

This sounds like a solid play for a cloud solution. I have about 20 valid licenses for 2011 so I guess in 8 years I will need to find a replacement. Now..........what will be the new name of the podcast??? :D

Joe_Miner

This sounds like a solid play for a cloud solution. I have about 20 valid licenses for 2011 so I guess in 8 years I will need to find a replacement. Now..........what will be the new name of the podcast??? :D

Essentially Windows Home Server :rolleyes:

Joe_Miner

or....the Essential Podcast!

Oh, I like that JMWills!

How about Essentially Served :rolleyes: