RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Michaelinho

Setting it all up!

ikon

Normally you would find it under Network or you could include shares from the MicroServer in some of your Libraries.

Presumably, if you map drive letters to shares on the MicroServer then they will show up as those drives under My Computer. Not sure I would go that way myself, but it should certainly be possible.

Michaelinho

Hmm okay, I will give that a try! (Y)

I was wondering, is it possible to connect my WDTV Live to the Microserver using a USB to USB cable?

ikon

Kinda wondering why you would want to do that. Normally, the USB port is for external drives, either flash, or SSD/spinning.

Michaelinho

My laptop isn't Gigabit so I thought it would help speed things up from my laptop to the Microserver but that won't be necessary now :D

In order to put more hard drives inside the Microserver would I have to format them first?

jmwills

What file format are the drives in and what type of data is on them?

ikon

In order to put more hard drives inside the Microserver would I have to format them first?

Normally, you can add the drive(s), then go into Disk Manager and configure the drive(s) and partitions and formatting. But, for some drives you may need to use DiskPart to wipe out the drives partitions (I think this is what jmwills is getting at).

jmwills

He should be able to add the drives as is if they are NTFS partitions.

Michaelinho

It is a 2TB hard drive containing pictures, videos, music and documents adding up to a total of 1.4TB, It is NTFS too so is it okay for me to just slot it in? (When the Microserver is switched off of course)

I don't have anywhere to back up that amount of data so I am really hoping I can just put it in there without having to format it :)

jmwills

That drive should not require a format to be seen. If you are asked, for initialization, STOP and cancel.

ikon

I don't have anywhere to back up that amount of data so I am really hoping I can just put it in there without having to format it :)

Not to beat a dead horse, but just want to re-iterate the importance of backup. IOW, how would you feel if that 2TB drive went 'poof'?