RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Michaelinho

Setting it all up!

jmwills

These are not hot swappable drives. You will need to shut down the server, add the drive and then add it thru the disk management console.

Go to crucial.com and use their configuration tool.

• Like 1

Michaelinho

Thanks for the help, I tried to use my external hard drive as a removable drive so I can use it to install the OS but I guess that's another trip to PCWorld to buy a USB 16GB, why didn't they just come with an optical drive!? :(

And okay, many thanks! :)

jmwills

installing the ODD is a snap.

Joe_Miner

-snip-

And what brand memory should I buy?

-snip-

There's a wealth of information in the Forums. Check this thread specifically on RAM http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3459-ram-for-hp-proliant-microserver/

There's also a great list of informational links at this thread http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3506-more-interesting-microserver-links/

When you get to that page you may also want to check the Wiki link for a more expansive list of RAM that people have installed and KNOW works in the MicroServer.

-snip-

why didn't they just come with an optical drive!?

-snip-

I just used an external USB Optical Drive that I already have that I normally take on the road with my laptop since I only needed it at setup but If you want to add a DVD drive you can do it pretty cheeply and HP has Self Repair maintenance video's that walk you thru the process -- that like is in the 2nd thread above or you can go to it directly http://h20464.www2.hp.com/resultsCSR.htm?prodSeriesId=4248009&MEID=0A19D1A2-CF87-4F96-ABE4-2546FE1F5D48

It would be a good idea, IMHO, to go thru all the self repair HP video's before doing any work on the MicroServer. HP also has checklists to the right of the video's that you can print out and check off as you go thru the steps.

• Like 1

ikon

why didn't they just come with an optical drive!? :(

Well, they are already pretty inexpensive. Adding an optical drive that very few people will use was probably viewed as a profit killer with no up side.

• Like 1

jmwills

Cost, added shipping cost on more weight, the person likely to buy one of these would more than likely have the gear needed and why do you really need an ODD in a server? Just my opinion.

ikon

Well, they are already pretty inexpensive. Adding an optical drive that very few people will use was probably viewed as a profit killer with no up side.

Cost, added shipping cost on more weight, the person likely to buy one of these would more than likely have the gear needed and why do you really need an ODD in a server? Just my opinion.

We agree AGAIN! What's up with that? :D

jmwills

I see Canada is up and accounted for this morning!

ikon

As is the deep south!

Michaelinho

Hi guys, sorry for the delay, I was away (That rhymes! :D)

I have got the hardware side sorted though - ordered my RAM and hoping to use the drives inside my external hard drives for the Microserver (Is that okay?) I got Cat5e cables for the Gigabit stuff, got my WHS2011 CD, 16GB Flash Drive -Erthang, well almost.

After a bit of trying I was finally able to install Windows Home Server 2011 by USB, the OS is currently on the 250GB hard drive. The OS is a lot more complicated than I would expect it to be to be honest. I only have the one hard drive in there right now but I can't seem to be able to install programs like PS3 Media Server?

It is a bit different to what I thought it would be like, is it possible to make the Microserver appear as a hard drive in the "My Computer" folder? I seem to have a lot more questions than I thought I would!