RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RocketRAID 2720SGL + Norco 4224

kernal32

Hey,

Anyone had any problem with these cards + norco ?

Having an odd issue where the card will only pickup 7 drives, not 8. Have tried different backplanes, still the same.

I put 2 in, if i have 1 cable going to 1, and 1 to the other, it still will only detect 4 disk + 3 disks

I've changed the disks etc, no avail, i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas ?

I do have a sata connected OS disk, connected to the motherboard. I do wonder if that's causing an issue ...

Have updated the BIOS on the Raid cards, about to try updating the BIOS on the motherboard ...

Sounds to me like one of the breakout cables could be bad, or at least one connector.

using straight sas - sas

if i swap the cables over, it does the same thing

currently im wondering if its because of the AHCI on the OS drive, but just tried removing the OS drive and still only detecting 7 drives in the dos config

So, the OS drive is part of the array? I'd say to get the OS up and running and then add the array.

Nope,

OS drive is hanging of the sata from the mainboard

just testing lots of stuff currently, updated bios etc, now the raid controller wants to boot, but at this stage it maaaay be the backplanes of the norco 4224, i just might have multiple that dont work properly ...

Odly enough, looks like it was the Norco backplane, i have multiple that seem to not work 100% ... joy

Anyone know where i can source replacement backplanes? =P

I'm not familiar with the Norco backplanes, but your issue reminded of an old SCSI RAID limitation: you could only have 7 drives attached because only 1 byte was allocated to ID #'s and the RAID card used up 1 of them, leaving 7 for drives. Probably doesn't apply in your situation, but it brought back memories :)