RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

This computer can not connect to the server

perbear

A very odd error message at my friends's house where my oldest HP Homeserver with WHS v1 resides (with all service packs installed) Last week-end I suddenly became aware that one of the three computers had not been updated at all during the previous three weeks. I think everything started about mid-June when one of the computers initiated a backup but never got around to start or finish it in a correct way. It just hung. Maybe a thunder storm or something like that occured, I have no clue at all, but at the time when I became aware of the trouble I was able to log in to the server using the connector. With hard work I was able to cancel the initiated backup (I had to shut down the server two or three times as well as trying to cancel the backup in a more safe way.). After that two of the three computers backuped up both manuially and automaticly, while the third is still not backed up. For those two that do backup, I see the icon on the task bar informing me about the backup from start to finish, but when I want to log in and see what has happened to the third computer the connector does not work, not from any computer. What do yo suggest to resolve this? Is it as simple as just uninstalling the connector on all computers and re-installing it again? My concern is also that the connector file will not be found from the computers (the server page not found via the browser). SUGGESTIONS?

I don't think that it is the network cables causing it (only cat 5 cables but then again they might) because all computers have access to the internet and they are visible on the network. I don't think it is the switch (though it might be, old as it is, only 10/100 Mbp) because the computers have internet access and have the ability to print to the network printer. I don't think it is the ADSL router (v1, old Netgear router, though it might be, more traffic now than when it was first installed.)

I have considered suggesting to my friends that we should change the ADSL router to a newer model (an ADSL 2+), upgrade the cables to also work in a gigabit environment (cat 6 or cat 7) and change the switch to one with more capacity (24 giga ports instead of 8 non-giga at the moment). Due to the fact that the server and my friends reside in the countryside about 20 (English) miles east of Gothenburg, fibre is currently not an option and speeds over the land line surpassing 8 Mb is not provided by the internet provider. Currently, the provider does not offer fibre and has no plans of offering fibre in the near future. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure why you think it would be necessary to uninstall the connector from all 3 of the clients. If 2 of them are working fine then just leave them be. I would try uninstalling the connector from the 3rd one and then re-install it. You might even have to Remove that computer from the server using the Dashboard and then re-install the connector on the client.

The solution was easier and more embarrassing than expected. Loose cables. Nothing else to do than to unplug and re-plug them again.

I should have said that first. At this point I just assume everyone has tried that first.

I have 3 rules of troubleshooting technology:

1. connections
  2. connections
  3. connections

:)

Even my wife and kids can quote it back to me when they ask about a problem. I say, "Did you check the....." and they immediately reply, "Yesssss, we checked the connections, connections, connections." 'Course, they also admit those rules have helped them more often than they can count.

Glad you resolved it so easily.

• 6 months later...

I have a similar problem on a newly installed v1 at a friends house.

I installed the connector on a mobile (wifi) laptop without a hitch. However, the wired desktop cannot find the server. Nothing seems to work. Both are running Norton 360 and Win7 64bit. I tried to Shut down 360 on the desktop, but that did nothing. Maybe uninstalling 360 is the answer? or maybe something else.

The installation hangs when it tries to find the server. Even if I manually input the server name, it cannot find it.

Ideas?

Thanks

It might be a DNS issue. Have you tried using the server's IP address instead of its name? Hmmm, just had a thought, is this one of the things WHS2011 can do that v1 cannot? I forget.

Norton 360 could very well be the issue. Guaranteed! I get computers in quite often that can't connect to the internet or various nodes. If they are running a suite like the Norton 360 an uninstall fixes the issue more times than not. But in any event, that is a good place to start before doing any additional troubleshooting.