RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

*** Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Only $39.99 + WMC Included! ***

nlitend1

I find it curious that Microsoft is pushing Windows 8 Pro so much. First via Surface, and now via the upgrade construction. Why is there no love for plain old Windows 8 anymore? Was it something we said?

Ah, there's the gcoupe we know and love. If someone handed him a million dollars he'd complain that some of the bills are a bit wrinkled :D :D

Ah, there's the gcoupe we know and love. If someone handed him a million dollars he'd complain that some of the bills are a bit wrinkled :D :D

Nah, it's just that when philosophers pontificate on how many teeth a horse has, I always feel impelled to go around to the stable and actually count 'em. I always look a gift horse in the mouth...

:-)

Edited by gcoupe
bondisdead

The Apple upgrades are still cheaper but you couldn't blame MS too much for that. Apple makes a healthy profit on the hardware up front. MS (until Surface) only has the software to get revenue on. And even with Surface I'm sure they'll use it mostly as a loss leader to get the revenue stream from the software again.

It is nice to see MS become at least a bit more competitive but think of this. The family pack of Win 7 was $149 for three licenses. So technically only $10 more per license than this Win 8 Pro deal. I know the family pack was for Home Premium and this is Pro but it's beginning to look like Pro is MS' everyman OS and regular Windows 8 is more of a "Starter" edition. Also like the family pack this is a limited time offer. Just until Jan., 2013.

Finaly IndyLux mentioned TechNet, well looks like MS is going to be imposing more restrictions on TechNet in the coming months. See below:

http://www.neowin.ne...dntechnet-users

Wow! They are going to no longer allow your windows installation to be valid if you let your technet subscription expire? ANd they are going to apply these new restrictions to current subscribers? Sheesh, I wish I hadn't renewed last month. I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere, but it seems crazy that they can change the terms and conditions after having paid your subscription.

Wow! They are going to no longer allow your windows installation to be valid if you let your technet subscription expire? ANd they are going to apply these new restrictions to current subscribers? Sheesh, I wish I hadn't renewed last month. I'm sure it's in the fine print somewhere, but it seems crazy that they can change the terms and conditions after having paid your subscription.

Technically you were'nt supposed to use it before without a valid subscripton. From what I can tell, they just clarified this.