RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

*** Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Only $39.99 + WMC Included! ***

nlitend1

Joe_Miner

http://www.groovypos...e-39-announced/

Glad to see the competitive pricing and possibly that Microsoft heard us about charging extra for Media Center.

What do you think the price of Win8 (non-pro) will be? $19.99?

That's some nice pricing -- I think they're serious about taking on Apple. I wonder if iTunes will work on it? :D

jazzerjay

That's some nice pricing -- I think they're serious about taking on Apple. I wonder if iTunes will work on it? :D

I don't see why it would not work other than iTunes crashing or locking up/freezing. (Don't mind me, I'm just bitter)

Joe_Miner

I don't see why it would not work other than iTunes crashing or locking up/freezing. (Don't mind me, I'm just bitter)

OK, I had to see........ I downloaded iTunes, installed it, loaded a few albums (copied from SkyNET) and played them. Works great as far as I can tell.

gallery_1229_26_55599.jpg

awraynor

People complain about the Apple tax, but if you consider the $30 OS download can be used on 5 computers vs. hundreds of dollars to upgrade 5 Windows

machines the price difference rapidly decreases. I just hope the Windows store apps have a 5 computer limit. It is so nice to download apps from the Mac App store

and not have to track down keys or pay for the extended download service that so many software resellers charge. With such a low upgrade price that is such a

great move for the consumer.

timekills
People complain about the Apple tax, but if you consider the $30 OS download can be used on 5 computers vs. hundreds of dollars to upgrade 5 Windows

machines the price difference rapidly decreases. I just hope the Windows store apps have a 5 computer limit. It is so nice to download apps from the Mac App store

and not have to track down keys or pay for the extended download service that so many software resellers charge. With such a low upgrade price that is such a

great move for the consumer.

Technically the app is only allowed to be used on one system at a time although I don't know that Apple enforces it. Of course, that also means you have to use the same Apple login for each system. Not a viable solution when you have multiple high and middle school kids. It sounds great in theory, but in practice I am still paying for the upgrade on each system.

Sent using Tapatalk

Technically the app is only allowed to be used on one system at a time although I don't know that Apple enforces it. Of course, that also means you have to use the same Apple login for each system. Not a viable solution when you have multiple high and middle school kids. It sounds great in theory, but in practice I am still paying for the upgrade on each system.

Sent using Tapatalk

The Apple upgrades are still cheaper but you couldn't blame MS too much for that. Apple makes a healthy profit on the hardware up front. MS (until Surface) only has the software to get revenue on. And even with Surface I'm sure they'll use it mostly as a loss leader to get the revenue stream from the software again.

It is nice to see MS become at least a bit more competitive but think of this. The family pack of Win 7 was $149 for three licenses. So technically only $10 more per license than this Win 8 Pro deal. I know the family pack was for Home Premium and this is Pro but it's beginning to look like Pro is MS' everyman OS and regular Windows 8 is more of a "Starter" edition. Also like the family pack this is a limited time offer. Just until Jan., 2013.

Finaly IndyLux mentioned TechNet, well looks like MS is going to be imposing more restrictions on TechNet in the coming months. See below:

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-adds-more-restrictions-to-msdntechnet-users

awraynor

Do you think my WinXP upgrade key from 2001 is eligible for the $39.99 upgrade option?

My mother just bought an All In One to replace her Win XP desktop, maybe I could use

her OEM key? I told her to go ahead and buy the Win7 AIO, because I surely didn't want

to explain how to use Win8 to her. She still doesn't remember how to attach a file to an email

after I have explained it to her dozens of times.