RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
CablDeViL

Hp Data Vault How to rebuild?

CablDeViL

My HP data vault here at work is giving me fits. I cannot connect anymore via the connector / HP Software nor can I open the dashboard under RDP. This is V1 BTW. When I try to connect via the IIS / webpage I get a error log. From what I read I need to do a rebuild but all of my servers are home built and have video out, so I am in uncharted waters. The shares and the data is accessible and the back ups seem to be working fine.

I do NOT want to kill the Pool. How do I go about doing a rebuild?

Normally I would play with this to learn but time and experience has me limited with the HP devices. Also the data is critical (I do have it backed up to an external if needed)

Thank You in advance.

Bill

nlitend1

Sound like the perfect scenario for a "Server Recovery". That will keep the pooled data and re-install the OS. On the MSS, it is done via the "sever recovery disc" that you run from a client PC.

Steps:

1. Disconnect both the server and client computer to be used for the restore from the network.

2. Connect the server DIRECTLY to client computer

3. Run the recovery disc on the client pc (it contains a dhcp/pxe boot server) which is how that series recovers.

4. When prompted, select "server recovery" NOT "factory reset".

5. Wait for recovery to finish and then reconnect server and client to the network.

Edited by nlitend1

ikon

Sound like the perfect scenario for a "Server Recovery". That will keep the pooled data and re-install the OS. On the MSS, it is done via the "sever recovery disc" that you run from a client PC.

Steps:

1. Disconnect both the server and client computer to be used for the restore from the network.

2. Connect the server DIRECTLY to client computer

3. Run the recovery disc on the client pc (it contains a dhcp/pxe boot server) which is how that series recovers.

4. When prompted, select "server recovery" NOT "factory reset".

5. Wait for recovery to finish and then reconnect server and client to the network.

I always found the requirement to network directly to the HP server odd but, be that as it may, isn't there also a requirement that the connector software be uninstalled from the client before trying to do a recovery?

nlitend1

I always found the requirement to network directly to the HP server odd but, be that as it may, isn't there also a requirement that the connector software be uninstalled from the client before trying to do a recovery?

Yes, I agree, It is a bit odd. And yes, thanks for pointing that out. Before running the server recovery you should uninstall the WHS client connector via add/remove programs.

ikon

Yes, I agree, It is a bit odd. And yes, thanks for pointing that out. Before running the server recovery you should uninstall the WHS client connector via add/remove programs.

teamwork baby, teamwork :)

CablDeViL

Thank You Very Much! I will do a back up and follow these instructions Saturday. I will report back on my outcome.

Thank you!

CablDeViL

OK I finally had time to do the restore last night and all went well. After all the updates installed I am having an error that the home server backup service is not running. I want to delete all the computer back ups and start over. But I cannot delete them because the service is not running. I tried to do a DB repair from the console but after it completed and rebooted it did not help.

I also remoted in and manually started the service then opened up the console and it still failed. Any ideas?

ikon

commit.dat eh? I expect this is purely a V1 issue, but good detective work in any case.

CablDeViL

I had the same error in my event log. Deleted it and I am running DB repair now.