RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dell laptop and WHS 2011 backup

John7

Is there anything I can do? I have Dell laptop which in common, I believe, with most Dell laptops has two Dell hidden drives, restore and boot. The boot is FAT 16 so isn’t backed up to WHS 2011.

I have a feeling converting this to NTFS may stop it working (or at least fully working)enen if I knew how to convert a hidden boot sector/drive.

Is there anything I can do or will I just have to do a recovery and restore the WHS data to the c: drive after ?

Part B would be your answer. If you are backing up the laptop, the restore is only a means to get back to a clean state. If it were mine, I would extract that partition into an iso and delete the partition.

Part B would be your answer. If you are backing up the laptop, the restore is only a means to get back to a clean state. If it were mine, I would extract that partition into an iso and delete the partition.

Thanks, but as I understand the laptop boots into this before going to the main partition. Looking at the contents, via a image created by True Image, it includes Command.Com, Config.sys, autoexec.bat which look like those used to start the booting off. If so without the partition my laptop will not boot. I have been told many laptop makers now use this hidden boot partition, the only reason I can see is to allow booting into restores, diagnostics etc.

This is why it looks like a restore would need this FAT 16 partition.

I also don't know what Part B is?

John

You can safely delete the restore partition, not the boot is what I meant. However, if it is not causing issues, leave it be or do a clean install of the OS and wipe the drive.

Thanks, but as I understand the laptop boots into this before going to the main partition. Looking at the contents, via a image created by True Image, it includes Command.Com, Config.sys, autoexec.bat which look like those used to start the booting off. If so without the partition my laptop will not boot. I have been told many laptop makers now use this hidden boot partition, the only reason I can see is to allow booting into restores, diagnostics etc.

This is why it looks like a restore would need this FAT 16 partition.

I also don't know what Part B is?

John

It isn't a boot partition for your Windows OS. Windows hasn't used config.sys or command.com since Windows ME. That partition is only to boot into DOS to run the Dell restore files on the other partition. Deleting both partitions will not affect your ability to boot into Windows.

A word of caution; ensure the partition you think is the restore partition isn't the approximately 100MB Windows hidden partition before you delete it. That partition is backed up by WHS however.

Sent using Tapatalk

It isn't a boot partition for your Windows OS. Windows hasn't used config.sys or command.com since Windows ME. That partition is only to boot into DOS to run the Dell restore files on the other partition. Deleting both partitions will not affect your ability to boot into Windows.

A word of caution; ensure the partition you think is the restore partition isn't the approximately 100MB Windows hidden partition before you delete it. That partition is backed up by WHS however.

Sent using Tapatalk

nice clarification. Thanks for saving me some typing :D